Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Crema is more from freshness than any other factor. Grind, tamp, pressure all play a part though.

I've never gone by time, volume or the latest fad... extraction ratios. Never at home or commercially. Have always extracted/made changes based on taste, texture, color, flow rate, etc. When you do something long enough with all different types of equipment/coffees you get a knack for exactly how something is working. Chasing numbers is for the newbies IMBHO.

How do you limit yourself to just one double daily? I 'limit' myself to 3-4 and can do so rather cheaply as I've been home roasting for over 1 year now. Typical 19 gram double shot costs me about .30, so no complaints there.
    Last edited by shadow745; 07-16-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Snip: Have always extracted/made changes based on taste, texture, color, flow rate, etc. When you do something long enough with all different types of equipment/coffees you get a knack for exactly how something is working. Chasing numbers is for the newbies IMBHO.

>just like BBQ, experience, by the looks and by feel, no temperature probe nor clock.

How do you limit yourself to just one double daily?

Waking up at 3AM if I over do it.
    Last edited by mawil1013; 07-16-2017 at 06:05 PM.

1) Adjust / remove the sound. The sound of the machine mixed with whatever background talking, etc. is very distracting.

2) Those shots are more of a "What not to do." Pour starts too soon, sputtering, quickly goes straw colored - over extracting portions, i.e. not a good grind/tamp.

I recommend that you show the whole process: 1) Show fresh beans, 2) Show proper grind, 3) Show proper tamping. I would also use a naked portafilter. I was making espresso for years prior to purchasing an naked portafilter. Thought my shots were good, but the naked portafilter showed the truth. IMO there is no better tool for learning proper espresso preparation than a naked portafilter.

Shadow745,

Agreed. Great response.

Unfortunately too many people cannot think for themselves and take things too literally. Every competent barista, professional or otherwise, that I know diagnoses and brews based on your described method. That being said, you and I both know that there are definite indicators and windows that all things will fall into. Above all, it's learning to diagnose by taste. Flow and texture will get you in the ball park. As I mentioned in an earlier post, people end up chasing numbers rather than chasing flavor. Numbers are a great way to communicate to each other to explain what you have done... but it's not how you get/got there in the first place.

I learned from a "traditional" Italian background. We learned how to pull single shots just as easily as a double and learned to tamp and dose by feel. The one thing that I am sure you find is that if you weigh what you dose/tamp you will find out you are incredibly consistent when you practice and learn the way you are. Without understanding from a practical standpoint HOW you got from point A to point B, the numbers are meaningless.
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

Did another shot with the; portafilter spring valve removed, grind setting of 8, proper tamp, same triple variety of beans.

You comments please on my extraction video.-img_20170717_192824.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Shadow745,

Agreed. Great response.

Unfortunately too many people cannot think for themselves and take things too literally. Every competent barista, professional or otherwise, that I know diagnoses and brews based on your described method. That being said, you and I both know that there are definite indicators and windows that all things will fall into. Above all, it's learning to diagnose by taste. Flow and texture will get you in the ball park. As I mentioned in an earlier post, people end up chasing numbers rather than chasing flavor. Numbers are a great way to communicate to each other to explain what you have done... but it's not how you get/got there in the first place.

I learned from a "traditional" Italian background. We learned how to pull single shots just as easily as a double and learned to tamp and dose by feel. The one thing that I am sure you find is that if you weigh what you dose/tamp you will find out you are incredibly consistent when you practice and learn the way you are. Without understanding from a practical standpoint HOW you got from point A to point B, the numbers are meaningless.
    Yeah I agree and have said the same thing for some time... people chase numbers over flavor/texture, etc.

I do weigh my doses at home due to the complexity of my routine, but have never measured tamp. My average tamp is likely 10-15# max as I like to grind a bit more fine and tamp less. You can compress coarser ground coffee only so much. Surely you can relate to this... I have gone through the process so many times I can make grind/dose adjustments based on the feel of the tamp alone, just by how the grounds compress under pressure.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    Did another shot with the; portafilter spring valve removed, grind setting of 8, proper tamp, same triple variety of beans.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170717_192824.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	7845
    The color of the coffee itself is pretty good, but of course the crema is thin/pale. Main thing is taste... as long as it's good to you, then that's what counts. You would be surprised with how much different super fresh coffee would be.

You comments please on my extraction video.-img_20170213_170202580_hdr.jpg

This is a typical double I extract from my unmodified Rancilio Silvia/Rocky. Around 18.8 grams of home roasted Altiplano Blend (Sweet Maria's) aged 6-7 days. Reddish brown, very thick/silky... Probably 2/3 of the volume is crema until it settles a bit and crema still clings to the demitasse all the way to the last sip.

I don't think it's freshness, the three beans are: Starbucks Sumatra Dark, Yukon Blend Medium and Ethiopia Medium.

Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    I don't think it's freshness, the three beans are: Starbucks Sumatra Dark, Yukon Blend Medium and Ethiopia Medium.
    Do you know when they were roasted? Espresso extraction is very sensitive to freshness of the beans. Grab yourself some fresh roasted beans from Counter Culture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links