Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

You comments please on my extraction video.

Comments please..

thumps UP! from Alex the goat milk latte guy :+)

So....

Rather than dismissing what you asked or being patronizing, here are my professional observations.

In short. Dude, that's bad... really bad. 😦 But you knew that or you wouldn't ask. So huge thumbs up for being smart enough to ask for feedback.

Espresso flow starts way too soon... at 3 seconds rather than 7 or 9 or... no crema whatsoever, so beans are old and stale. Espresso blondes at 11 seconds which is an indication of too coarse, and/or not enough grounds along with the previously mentioned old/stale beans.

I'm guessing inexpensive grinder or pre-ground.

It is obviously early in the game for you as you seem to lack the most basic knowledge. There is a lot of great information available.

Here is a good place to start -
    http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide.html and then continue reading the other guides after that.

Keep at it.
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    thumps UP! from Alex the goat milk latte guy :+)
    I worked with a group of; 'born and raised in Italy' fellows for about two years. They couldn't get going in the morning until they had their espresso. They used a DeLonghi EC155, and a bag of pre-ground Illy, plus a huge amount of sugar. Stir and downed quickly. They didn't fuss about it either, dumped in the pre-ground beans that had been sitting in a bag in the cupboard, leveled and tamped with the attached disk. They were happy with it. So if a group of born and raised Italians can't be trusted to learn from, I don't know who is! One of them was fussy but only about Neapolitan Pizza, having attended a training course on how to made it according to legal standards! I'd like to see the same thing outside of Italy, an Italian course on how they make their everyday espresso. But back to Italians and their espresso, I was amazed with the huge amount of sugar they added to their shot, 3 heaping teaspoons, so, 6 teaspoons! Therefore I have no guilt nor shame when I drop my espresso into steamed milk with sugar and cocoa, I like it. The cocoa and coffee seem to have an affinity towards each others, like a man to his woman! The machine I used to create the video is a DeLonghi ECP3420, with same pumping ability as an EC155 but a much better steamer. The bean I used was a mixture of three totally different beans combined and ground on my Baratza Encore; conical burr grinder set at 6, portafilter with two level DeLonghi scoops, then the portafilter leveled and lightly tamped. I did use the old EC155 portafilter with the valve intact. Once I use up my triple blend and go back to a single bean I'll start working with the portafilter with the spring valve removed. So, I'm just having fun, my little hobby for my morning Cocoa Latte! I'm the exact same way with my barbecue cooking. When many others seem to believe the most expensive cooker will get them were they need to go, I paid $35 for a used natural gas kitchen oven/stove, removed all the gas lines, removed the metal that was in between the oven and the drawer under it. Coals go into drawer under meat and meat lays on oven racks. I have a wonderful barbecue cooker where I can cook meat over coals. Same for fishing, here in USA they aren't happy without having a $20,000 boat and trailer with a $35,000 truck to haul it plus $10,000 of fishing gear, when I'm happy from the shore casting out with a float! Idiots! (I think that is what the Italian man would say!)

Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    So, I'm just having fun, my little hobby for my morning Cocoa Latte!
    I do not think that there is a certain rules in coffee. Everyone talk about Golden Ratio : 1 vs 17.42 whatever. When I began my long journey into the coffee world, I tried to remember everything about the rules, ratios, time, extraction, do I stir "clock wise" or "counter clock wise"... And later on, I realized that a lot of them are all bullshit.

I do not like the Golden rule ratio. 1 vs 17.42. to me, too weak.
    Also, I do not like the traditional method of making French Press. A week or two ago, someone posted a link on making a French Press. That thread is here somewhere. I tried it and love it (I think that I even put photos..etc in this forum)

So basically, I started to MAKE THE COFFEE THAT I LIKE because I am the one who is drinking it.
    And you know what? it is fun, getting there, making your own stuff, trying out different things.....

I BET million dollars that many, many coffee experts never even touch "instant coffee". Probably they will look down on people like me (I have been drinking instant coffee since I got here, Guatemala. it has been 10 days, only between 3am to 7am. Then, better coffees are around the town :+) So, if they knew, I drink Instant coffee EVERYDAY in Guatemala, or use goat milk in my latter, they will probably avoid me like a disease. Well, that is their own prerogative which means they should keep it to themselves.

One of the people I admire is George Howell who drinks INSTANT COFFEE when he travels.
    He has traveled around the world hundreds of times and he understands that it is nothing wrong with sharing bad instant coffee with native coffee workers, it is nothing wrong with roasting beans in a frying pan, ...because he understands that coffee is not just about rules, regulations, time..etc. it is about culture of each coffee producing country, it is about people who are involved and be gracious about it.

Understanding coffee is understanding life. Understanding that the coffee world does not circle around me.

Since I have been here in Guatemala with my 3 kids (Not for my coffee business. We are helping a missionary new Church here, teaching English and sponsoring kids who need help to get education), I realize that EVERYONE drinks Instant coffee after Church is over. And that Instant Coffee is one of the worst grade, mixed with other stuff. A lot of them are coffee people here and everyone enjoys their coffee. Actually, I really enjoy drinking that coffee with those people than drinking "so call perfect V60" with coffee snobs.

Anyway, Coffee is fun. Coffee is an adventure. Make your own coffee that will make you happy.

You comments please on my extraction video.-2008-03-26-speakcoffee.jpgYou comments please on my extraction video.-best-coffee-quotes-pics-images-pictures-photos-12-.jpg

So, if your morning Cocoa latte makes you do the happy dance, I can confidently say that "Holy Crap!. Your coffee is really amazing"!!!!
    PS : By the way, what is your name? well.. you already know my name! :+)
    Last edited by ensoluna; 07-16-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Goat milk, certainly, u must use what is available. I use powdered milk that has been reconstituted with water for my Latte's. You are to be commended for teaching, that is wonderful. Are you Christian? I'm Bahá'í and teaching is considered as a very honorable act. I'm retired but my wife Yvonne, is still working for one more year before she retires. Her family is from Puerto Rico but she grew up in Brooklyn, NY, and they were raised drinking Bustello coffee brand made in a Moka espresso pot!
    ~Michael

I would grind a little finer to see if that will slow down your shot a bit... I agree with John it run's too fast. And make sure you have the freshest beans available - with espresso freshness is the key.. ideally a few days off roast > 2/3 weeks is best.

Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    Goat milk, certainly, u must use what is available. I use powdered milk that has been reconstituted with water for my Latte's. You are to be commended for teaching, that is wonderful. Are you Christian? I'm Bahá'í and teaching is considered as a very honorable act. I'm retired but my wife Yvonne, is still working for one more year before she retires. Her family is from Puerto Rico but she grew up in Brooklyn, NY, and they were raised drinking Bustello coffee brand made in a Moka espresso pot!
    ~Michael
    hello michael, nice to meet you!

Yes, I am a Christian. Were you born in Iran? it is not so common to meet a person who is Baha'i. That is absolutely great. I guess that regardless of religion, teaching can be very honorable. My father was a teacher in Korea and so were most of my uncles. very rewarding career, only if you really do care about what you do.

Yvonne from Puerto Rico? what a wonderful island. Been there.. about 30 times in my life (for previous electronic business). By the way, Puerto Rico is one of only two states in USA that grow coffee. (Hawaii being the other one and more well known).

also about Bustello coffee, ha ha ha. I had tons of this coffee when I was in Caribbean islands and in Miami. Very very popular there!
    have a wonderful Sunday, Michael & Yvonne! :+)

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    I would grind a little finer to see if that will slow down your shot a bit... I agree with John it run's too fast. And make sure you have the freshest beans available - with espresso freshness is the key.. ideally a few days off roast > 2/3 weeks is best.
    or tamper bit harder? :+)

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Fresh beans are impossible for me, it's just for me. My wife has instant. When I buy a bag of beans it's usually only sold in 12-16 oz., I keep it stored in refrigerator tightly sealed in original bag and the inside zip lock. I always allow beans to reach room temperature before opening bag to refill grinder bin. I had reached a point where if I tamp normally it won't allow water through. I think having three bean styles is perhaps limiting me. It was an experiment in reducing a harsh bean. I also get better results if I stop pump immediately after first drip than proceed, gets Crema much sooner.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links