Milk frothing creates large amounts of bubbles

Gryffen

Aug 14, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I am relatively new to the art of espresso/fancy coffee making and I recently got a Mr. Coffee ECMP50 machine to start out on. It worked fine for the first week or so, but now every time I try to froth the milk with the steam wand it creates giant bubbles very quickly in the milk that make it look like I let a 6 year old play with my milk. I've purged the wand, tried cleaning the nozzle, and even tried running it in a cup of water to see if that helped clean it. Any ideas on what's wrong? Maybe the nozzle is kinda clogged and the steam is coming out too pressurized? I can't figure it out, help would be appreciated.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Could be some clogging, but have you by any chance changed brands of milk as I've seen that happen all too often? When running a commercial setup I noticed inconsistencies with different brands of whole milk, which was the most common (by far) we used.

Gryffen

Aug 14, 2017
Visit site
Well, I'm using 2% now, but it's worked fine before, so I don't know if that's it. Also, I tried it yesterday and took off the rubber cover which then resulted in no foam at all... I'll keep working on it I suppose.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Have you removed the tip from you steam wand and soaked in espresso cleaner? If not, that's the first thing I would do. Take a tooth pick after soaking for a bit and see if you have any dried milk stuck in the tip.