Problem Solved: Diagnostic assistance with Rancilio"Miss Rancilio" Nancy

Espresso68

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I have just purchased the above used unit it did not come with a manual(have not been able to find one online).I have not been able to get a shot with creama,just watery black residue and the unit gets extremely hot. So suspect I will need a new temp solenoid and possible new pump.I just do not want to head down the rabbit hole.Any ideas,suggestions does anyone know where I might be able to get replacement parts?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
You can get parts from espressoparts.com ... I doubt its a pump unless you are hearing noises or something along those lines. Are you grinding the coffee yourself or using pre-ground?

Espresso68

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
The unit came with the Rancilio Rocky Grinder i just used the setting that was already in place for espresso . The pump does seem to be working fine I will try a different grind,waiting for the previous owner to back from holidays,he is a master roaster so I don't expect that he has sold me a faulty unit.The unit does appear to be well cared for.I at least intend to replace the new head gasket.Thankyou for the info on the equipment supplier.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well you will always need to adjust your grind for your coffee...the setting he uses may not be right for your coffee. Only use fresh roasted (within 2 weeks) coffee. If its running fast and no crema adjust the grind to a finer setting. Repeat until it extracts right. The only 'general' maintenance you will need to do with that machine is swap the o-ring if the portafilter does not seal right, and backflush per manf spec.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Well there is no 'temp solenoid'... it likely has a 3-way solenoid as it shares parts with the Silvia as well as having 2 thermostats, one for brew temp and one for steam temp.

You say the unit gets extremely hot... what part of the machine are you referring to? If it gets too hot there should be a safety cutout that will pop (likely resettable), killing power to the element to protect it. Silvias will flash boil after the element kicks OFF until a lower brew temp is obtained (by flushing or simply waiting) at the group, this could be what you're seeing.

You can get an idea of pump flow by measuring how much water you get from the group. Should be 3-4 oz. in 10 seconds.

As mentioned, you must use very fresh coffee to obtain crema. The number 1 cause of thin/watery coffee is stale coffee.

The Rocky is a great grinder, but every coffee is different and requires dialing in regardless of what has worked for others.

Just because somebody is a 'master roaster' doesn't mean they know equipment that well.

Espresso68

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the great advice,I have had espresso machines for 25+ years always learning something new.Great info on pump flow.I have tried temp surfing to cool the boiler down,it helps.

juvela

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
-----

Have you tried backflushing with espresso machine cleaner such as PuroCaf?

One simple maintenance you could do would be to remove the shower disc and distribution disc from the brewhead to give them a clean.

Possible that the burrset on Rocky is dull and in need of replacement.

It might help readers to give more focused information if they knew the generation of your Nancy. Are the power switches red or are they amber in colour? If amber, is the surface you press flat or is it curved? Is the machine's filterholder chrome plated or does it have the brown teflon coating?

-----

Last edited:

Espresso68

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for everone’’s help.i had the unit pro-serviced and then sold it.

-----

Have you tried backflushing with espresso machine cleaner such as PuroCaf?

One simple maintenance you could do would be to remove the shower disc and distribution disc from the brewhead to give them a clean.

Possible that the burrset on Rocky is dull and in need of replacement.

It might help readers to give more focused information if they knew the generation of your Nancy. Are the power switches red or are they amber in colour? If amber, is the surface you press flat or is it curved? Is the machine's filterholder chrome plated or does it have the brown teflon coating?

-----
Thanks everyone for your assistance I have since sold unit. It was in fact the solenoid switch which was replaced.