Can anyone tell me more about this machine?

thetarn

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased an IllyCaffe Typ 515 coffee machine. It looks really old. I don't even know if it's working but once I've fixed it up I am fairly certain that it will be far superior to my cheap Russell Hobbs clone!

Can anyone tell me more about this machine? I have searched ebay, google, various forums and even the Illy website. No luck. When it does arrive I would like to give it a service. If anyone has any tips?

Have attached some pics. 160426561_vintage-illy-espresso-machine-system-illycaffe-spa-model.jpgb1eef11e-18f7-4d2e-902c-edec1cecf133.jpgfa2f9ca6-04c2-4570-ae43-a38a9fc094b1.jpg

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Based on the pic of portafilter shape/single spout and Illy's designs over the years that appears to use pods of some sort. I could be wrong though...

The machine design reminds me of those from Saeco and even the Gaggia Classic to a degree. Would be interesting if you pop the bonnet and see what type of heating system it has.

Last edited:

juvela

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
-----

hello thetarn,

your espresso machine is produced by the swiss appliance manufacturer TURMIX. the same model was sold under the TURMIX and ELESPRESSO names. date is likely ~1988. from the appearance of the filterholder in your first image it looks as though it may be a pod filterholder. if you wish, you should be able to order a filterholder intended for loose coffee which will fit the machine.

the quality on these is quite nice. the layout/design of the internals is somewhat similar to a SAECO machine, although there is no connection and no parts interchange AFAIK. boiler is INOX. the finish and fit on the sheet steel body is very good as is the powdercoat finish.

i have one of these in a dark red-brown colour made for loose coffee which is badged as ELESPRESSO.

TURMIX has produced a variety of models of home espresso machine.

h_t_t_p://turmix.ch/de/

the website is offered in german and in french versions, no english. if you are unfamiliar with both of those tongues you may wish to ask google to translate...

-----