Jura C5 giving awful coffee

andyspain

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys, this is my first post here. Not sure if it is possible for you to diagnose what I am doing wrong but I thought I would give it a try.

For about 6 years we had a cheap Princess beans to cup machine and the coffee it made was good (we like to drink latte). The machine was giving error's so we thought it was about time to get a different machine. Did a lot of research online and found a used Jura C5. Bought it and to our surprise from the get go it has been giving horrible coffee. I am sure it must be user error and I have much confidence in this machine but no matter what I do, I cannot get a decent cup of coffee.

I have tried 5 or so different types of beans, tried different variations of grounding (from fine to coarse and checked the ground after emptying the tray and they are all different - coarse to fine so the settings button does operate how it should) and the different grounding durations (5, 7 and 9 seconds). No combination has given me a coffee that is even close to what I was getting from the Princess machine.

I have cleaned the machine with the cleaning tablets and run them through a cleaning cycle.

I even tried pre ground coffee which was the worst of all.

In our princess machines we would use what they call torrefacto beans (sugar coated beans, very common in Spain) but the Jura instructions state never to use such beans in this machine. Maybe due to the sugar coating on the torrefacto beans I would not taste the bitterness so much?

I am based on the coast in the Alicante area and we can only get supermarket coffee here, no local roasters/producers unfortunately

So I am trying to get rid of the terrible flavours I am getting from the coffees: bitter, sharp, no full body. It basically tastes like a warm watered down cup of slightly roasted bile, BLEH! I have thrown away so many packets of beans and I am losing hope I will ever get a decent cuppa coffee from the Jura C5.

Can anybody help to point out what user error is causing this? Or maybe the machine might be faulty? If so, the machine needs to go back and I need to ask for a refund. If I need to post pics of anything, please give me a heads up.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Andy

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I question if the water is at the right temperature... if you have a thermometer you should test the temp of the brewed coffee. It should be around 180 degrees.

andyspain

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
I question if the water is at the right temperature... if you have a thermometer you should test the temp of the brewed coffee. It should be around 180 degrees.

Thanks for tuning in Musicphan, I will check that (will go and by a thermometer tomorrow) and report back!

JuraGuy

Jul 17, 2023
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
Since you mentioned Princess, I assume you make coffee with C5. Since C5 is an espresso machine, better to make an espresso with it first and judge the quality based on that. Make 1 oz (30 ml) and see if it has any crema on top.