Delonghi ECAM22.110 coffee maker acting a bit moody lately.

Coffreaka

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Help please: Delonghi ECAM22.110 coffee maker acting a bit moody lately.

Hello, I have a technical query regarding my Delonghi ECAM22.110 coffee maker, which is acting a bit moody lately.

I press the button, it grinds the coffee, makes all the usual noises, then expels the dry coffee grounds and the hot water is released via the escape valve into the tray. So, no coffee. I wash the infuser, stick it back in and it works for a bit then a week passes (more or less exactly) and this happens again. I have lubricated the parts because I thought I could hear then squeaking a bit, but the problems keeps recurring. Should I buy a new infuser, or is the problem likely to be elsewhere? The steam works fine, the coffee temp and quality, when it works, is otherwise excellent.

Any advice gratefully received.

Last edited:

Coffreaka

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
What exactly is the infuser you mention?

I guess (not sure) what they call the infuser is the brew unit you're referring to. Removing and washing once a week (I also lubricated it) seems to be working, but if I leave it any longer the problem can occasionally come back, so it is the likely culprit. Just wondering if I should be looking at replacing it.

Coffreaka

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! I've watched a few but this is the first one I've seen with my exact infuser model. Pity I can't understand it, but I get the idea. Yes, these are the steps I carried out, albeit with a little more trial and error (I didn't align the central part exactly and later, when it tried to remove the coffee grinds I heard a loud explosion, thought the machine had blown itself up). I haven't replaced the o rings, they seem ok but this might be an idea and a cheaper alternative to replacing the whole infuser unit. Hopefully the issue isn't elsewhere.

Coffreaka

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
So the problem is still occurring and I'm very tempted to replace the infuser (or at least the o-rings) but I still can't tell whether this is the source of my coffee woes. I mean, it could be the valve infuser piston which is at fault.

Part of the problem is that I don't know exactly how the machine works, BUT, if water is being heated up but not reaching the infuser where the freshly ground coffee is waiting, then it seems to me it would be the piston at fault, which looks slightly more complicated to replace (it has a couple of plastic tubes attached to it etc) than the infuser which is simply a unit you click on and pull out.

The only mystery to me is why soaking the infuser seems to work for a few days if it is something else at fault, but like I say, I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how the process works and if anybody has any advice to impart...it would save me a bit of trial and error and spending on the wrong parts. when the machine is working, the coffee works great, as does the steam.