What's the most bomber proof ~ reliable commercial espresso machine?

nevadanew

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
The title says it all. I'm looking for a solid machine that's the most durable and reliable. What brand and model? I put 330,000 rough miles on my last Tacoma. I never had to put any money into it except gas, oil and tires. It was running great when i sold it. I'm looking for the espresso machine version of that. It's for a busy coffee shop.
Any help appreciated,
Paul

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
This is my opinion and i know many won't agree but a lever machine is the most simple and reliable machine for long term. All you have to do is to change and lube the gasket in each group maybe once per year. There is so little to go wrong. But i would only get a single spring model.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I agree with levers being the most simple/long lasting, but would imagine one wouldn't fit the work flow for many people. Unfortunately some want push button (volumetric) convenience/repeatability.

There are plenty of quality brands on the market and choosing one is just too subjective. Any machine is going to require routine maintenance/cleaning, etc. Parts like group gaskets, shower screens, steam valve seals, etc. will have to be replaced periodically based on use and wear/tear. I'm not a fan of touch screens, volumetric controls, etc. I like a simple/high performing/dependable workhorse that never lets me down. In business I used a 2 group Nuova Simonelli Aurelia and have nothing but praise for it. That machine just worked hour after hour, week after week, etc. with not much more than a good solid cleaning schedule. In over 2.5 years of quite heavy use in a mobile setting (traveling lots of miles weekly, which could make a difference compared to a shop setting) I never had a single issue with it. Surely there are others on the market that would have fit the bill in my situation, but the Aurelia was what I had and it was a fantastic machine in terms of build quality, performance, recovery and longevity.

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
I have to agree with Seb. Lever machines are great.
There are some to avoid but most are reliable and easy to use.
I have a soft spot for the Fiorenzato range, the "Piazza San Marco" - simple to service, one solenoid valve, a black box to control water level, pressure switch, element....simple.
They make fantastic coffee too. The internal spring compresses a lot when the lever is pulled, the piston in the group raises and water floods through from the boiler (often adjustable) filling an espresso shot sized chamber above the coffee at 1bar. Wait a few seconds while the coffee infuses (pre-infusion on electronic machines if you pay enough!) and release the lever - the spring (with the most tension at this point) forces the shot of water through the coffee, pressure easing as it does so meaning you get higher pressure for the first part of the shot (acidity/charachter) and less at the end (less pressure at the bitter end of the shot). They are renowned for making very smooth espresso shots. Want a doppio? Pull the lever twice! Pulling the lever again before it returns fully to the "parked" position gives a shorter shot if you want a couple of ristretti for instance.
Here in the UK and Europe lever machines are making a come back and it's easy to see why.
The lever group often runs a little hotter than some of the latest "barista" kit and personally I prefer to use a good old Italian style blend when using them but I know of several people using them on single variety Arabica coffee to good effect.
Pulling a shot is no more time consuming than an electronic machine really and of course they measure each shot for you so staff can easily pull very similar shots.
The best bit? They look great and add a bit of "theatre" to making coffee!