Questions About Coffee K-Cup Reusable Filter

SickSquirrel

Dec 27, 2017
Westport Point MA
Visit site
Hi, I just got some kcup cocoa cups. I currently don’t own a coffee maker. I’ll buy one but I want to eventually buy a kcup maker. I’m wondering if I need a metal or plastic reusable coffee filter. I only see Keurig brand at Amazon, though. If I need one is there a generic one or can I use the Keurig brand? I’m not sure which brand maker I’ll buy but they’re under $50. I’m perusing them now.

I know now I can open these kcups and use them but want a coffee maker. I drink iced coffee every day and would make a cup at noon for later.

The filter seems to be for coffee kcups, not cocoa, so no rush!

thank you.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi, I just got some kcup cocoa cups. I currently don’t own a coffee maker. I’ll buy one but I want to eventually buy a kcup maker. I’m wondering if I need a metal or plastic reusable coffee filter. I only see Keurig brand at Amazon, though. If I need one is there a generic one or can I use the Keurig brand? I’m not sure which brand maker I’ll buy but they’re under $50. I’m perusing them now.

I know now I can open these kcups and use them but want a coffee maker. I drink iced coffee every day and would make a cup at noon for later.

The filter seems to be for coffee kcups, not cocoa, so no rush!

thank you.

I recently saw a demonstration on QVC for a very reasonably priced Keurig machine. It came with a variety of K-cups. They were demonstrating all of the drinks that it can make, and hot cocoa, iced coffee, and iced tea were some of them.

Apparently the Keurig machine brews the iced drinks stronger, because you're making the drink in a glass that has ice in it, and the melted ice will dilute a regular brew.

You can use any brand of K-cups in the Keurig machine, but of course Keurig recommends that you use their Keurig K-cups.

If you bought a Keurig machine, you would need to experiment using hot chocolate mix (Swiss Miss or equivalent) in the reusable K-cup filter. Usually when using a mix, you need to put the hot chocolate mix into a cup, and then add hot water, and stir it until it dissolves. I guess the Keurig machine would just flow the hot water through the chocolate powder that's in the reusable K-cup filter. It's possible that it will all dissolve as it flows into the cup. It would be easier for you to just use the hot chocolate K-cups in the Keurig machine.

As a side note: I watch QVC (or HSN) sometimes when I'm exercising. It helps pass the time, especially if there is nothing else interesting on TV. I learn all sorts of things, about all sorts of things, by watching the demonstrations. Computer and technical gadgets are easier to understand after seeing them explain things and go through the demonstrations. Then if I'm interested, I go on-line and compare prices. Amazon seems to win most of the time.

Rose

Last edited:

SickSquirrel

Dec 27, 2017
Westport Point MA
Visit site
Thank you both. Ensoluna, I didn’t know they were kcups as I didn’t read carefully. Last night and tonight I’ve spent hours researching. Years ago I bought a Perfect Pod maker but never used it. I was thinking of looking in mom’s basement as I have tons stored there as I just moved. Then I began to look for a coffee maker that accepts ground coffee. Thus I can make it very strong as the ice dilutes it. Hmmmm .... so many choices.

I’ve decided to open the kcups and just make frozen hot chocolate. I’ll now search a bit more for a ground coffee-compatible unit. I saw cheap under $20 models, but, the reviews aren’t great. I won’t give up, though, and will keep on looking. I started looking at beans and grinders but realized that’s work to clean and grind and I don’t have a husband to do it! Simpler to buy a jar of instant coffee and use my flavorings.

Oh, the nickname: squirrel I earned but everyone here isn’t 21 😉. Sick is because I nearly died 9.5 years ago and it left me ill. I’m alive and medicine keeps the pain down. Life changed but no one guarantees a perfect little life. As long as I can comfortably drink my iced coffee or latte in peace, my furry little tail wags 😘

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thank you both. Ensoluna, I didn’t know they were kcups as I didn’t read carefully. Last night and tonight I’ve spent hours researching. Years ago I bought a Perfect Pod maker but never used it. I was thinking of looking in mom’s basement as I have tons stored there as I just moved. Then I began to look for a coffee maker that accepts ground coffee. Thus I can make it very strong as the ice dilutes it. Hmmmm .... so many choices.

I’ve decided to open the kcups and just make frozen hot chocolate. I’ll now search a bit more for a ground coffee-compatible unit. I saw cheap under $20 models, but, the reviews aren’t great. I won’t give up, though, and will keep on looking. I started looking at beans and grinders but realized that’s work to clean and grind and I don’t have a husband to do it! Simpler to buy a jar of instant coffee and use my flavorings.

Oh, the nickname: squirrel I earned but everyone here isn’t 21 ��. Sick is because I nearly died 9.5 years ago and it left me ill. I’m alive and medicine keeps the pain down. Life changed but no one guarantees a perfect little life. As long as I can comfortably drink my iced coffee or latte in peace, my furry little tail wags ��

Hi SickSquirrel

Thanks for the scoop on how you came up with your user name for this Forum. It's always interesting to find out how the unusual user names were created.

What kind of coffee maker are you looking for? Are you planning to make a single cup at a time, or will you be making larger pots of coffee for yourself and others?

If it's just one cup at a time, besides exploring the Keurig machines, you may want to explore the single-cup brewers on Amazon too. (maybe the Aeropress?)

Better yet, go to your Mom's basement. and look for your Perfect Pod coffee maker, and give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always donate it, and it will be one less thing to store in your Mom's basement.

Welcome to the Coffee Forums.

Rose

Last edited:

SickSquirrel

Dec 27, 2017
Westport Point MA
Visit site
Oops, just saw this. Keurig K15 is coming as a surprise. I’ve been researching cups, paper filters, kcups makers, etc. The Perfect Pod Maker can stay there for now! I’ll use kcups which seem to be easy to make and use.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I have little to add with the K-cup discussion, but guess they certainly have their place for those that want simplicity, consistency, easy clean-up, etc. My issues with them would be the cost per use and all the plastic waste. That can be offset by utilizing the reusable capsules/fresh ground coffee. Of course you might want to focus on making the best of what it has to offer before stepping up to a more involved level.

On sickness... I've struggled with asthma/allergies since birth 47 years ago. In the fall of 1998 a tick bite changed my life as the asthma/allergies went into hyper mode and within 5 years I was debilitated by it to the point of having to stop working overnight and being home bound. My condition is called 'severe chronic persistent extrinsic asthma' which is asthma constantly triggered by allergies/inflammation. Also have a form of COPD caused by hundreds of upper respiratory infections/exacerbations over many years leading to irreversible scar tissue. For the last 15 years I've been fighting to stay alive and make the most of every single day. Have tried LOTS of different treatments/meds, undergone LOTS of medical procedures in an effort to pinpoint the underlying issues, gone through LOTS of dietary/environmental changes, etc. I currently live with 60% lung capacity on a good day, but it is what it is. Absolute best medicine is a positive attitude and I tell others to simply find something positive to look forward to every day they wake up and life is good. I have had to give up lots of things in life that I simply can't do any longer, but I never dwell on what I have lost and am grateful for what I can still do. Waking up each morning and firing up my espresso setup is what I look forward to every single day regardless of how I feel. Rock on SickSquirrel...

Attached is a pic of my completed setup/daily altar. I scored the kitchen cart one week ago and repurposed it for a coffee cart. The bag of Starbux coffee was a sarcastic Christmas gift, which I'm still debating on what to do with it.

13174.jpeg

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Shadow,

You have a very nice coffee setup. I like the new coffee cart. It's nicely organized. Do the jars on the shelf (to the right) have different kinds of coffee beans in them?

Rose

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Thanks... the wine rack is perfect for holding wide mouth Mason jars. They are labeled/organized according to blend/date I roasted them. I roast/rotate so the coffee is aged around 7 days post roast before I use a jar. Awesome thing is due to me carefully sourcing/buying used and building my own roaster my entire setup cost me around $600.

SickSquirrel

Dec 27, 2017
Westport Point MA
Visit site
I have little to add with the K-cup discussion, but guess they certainly have their place for those that want simplicity, consistency, easy clean-up, etc. My issues with them would be the cost per use and all the plastic waste. That can be offset by utilizing the reusable capsules/fresh ground coffee. Of course you might want to focus on making the best of what it has to offer before stepping up to a more involved level.

On sickness... I've struggled with asthma/allergies since birth 47 years ago. In the fall of 1998 a tick bite changed my life as the asthma/allergies went into hyper mode and within 5 years I was debilitated by it to the point of having to stop working overnight and being home bound. My condition is called 'severe chronic persistent extrinsic asthma' which is asthma constantly triggered by allergies/inflammation. Also have a form of COPD caused by hundreds of upper respiratory infections/exacerbations over many years leading to irreversible scar tissue. For the last 15 years I've been fighting to stay alive and make the most of every single day. Have tried LOTS of different treatments/meds, undergone LOTS of medical procedures in an effort to pinpoint the underlying issues, gone through LOTS of dietary/environmental changes, etc. I currently live with 60% lung capacity on a good day, but it is what it is. Absolute best medicine is a positive attitude and I tell others to simply find something positive to look forward to every day they wake up and life is good. I have had to give up lots of things in life that I simply can't do any longer, but I never dwell on what I have lost and am grateful for what I can still do. Waking up each morning and firing up my espresso setup is what I look forward to every single day regardless of how I feel. Rock on SickSquirrel...

Attached is a pic of my completed setup/daily altar. I scored the kitchen cart one week ago and repurposed it for a coffee cart. The bag of Starbux coffee was a sarcastic Christmas gift, which I'm still debating on what to do with it.

View attachment 9120

It’s never easy. I went from earning $200k/yr to Medicaid Seven figures in the bank to zero due to medical bills. Five classic cars to a wheelchair. Lost 100 lbs but that’s okay, now I’m not thin but not fat. Attitude stays up most of the time but health issues bring me down. Morphine and Oxycodone help but there still is pain. Prognosis to walk again is very good but will take time for these 23” legs to bear weight again.

Yours was a tick bite; mine was a dental visit where a germ entered the tooth or gum and traveled to my heart. Bacterial endocarditis put me on the critical list for weeks. Five months of hospitals with no memory of being sick. Woke up from coma three years later, and 6.5 years later, the middle-aged “miracle baby” is still kickin’!