Make Your Own KCups?

SickSquirrel

Dec 27, 2017
Westport Point MA
Visit site
I’m about to receive a Keurig K15 coffee maker as a surprise gift. The online company was kind enough to email me and tell me about my ‘surprise’.

I’ve been investigating making my own KCups. It seems I can reuse them and cover with foil. Uhh, no, not for me. There are filters and cups and covers and machines and, uhm, no. There are plastic and metal cups you reuse. Uhm, yes!

If I measure the right amount of coffee into the cup, cover, and press a button. I have hot coffee. Wash and reuse. What’s the catch? Do I need to buy paper filter cups? One site claimed you can brew, then stir cooled grounds and add half a new serving of coffee. Sounds good but if this worked, wouldn’t everyone do it, or the cups’ or makers’ invent a way to make this not work?

If I order the plastic and metal cups, is there one y’all recommend on Amazon? To me, they are all the same but for color and price.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I would suggest the Ekobrew brand. I have tried a few different ones but they seem to be the best.

Come back after you have made a few cups with your new Keurig, I'd love to hear what you think.

SickSquirrel

Dec 27, 2017
Westport Point MA
Visit site
Thanks. I researched it on Amazon last night but reviews weren’t that good. Spewing hot liquid, leaking, not fitting right, etc. I’m still searching.

Several stated they prefer filters as the coffee isn’t as bitter. If a filter isn’t specified, but I used one in the cup, will that ruin the taste? I plan to chill the coffee for iced coffee later on, and make it strong. But I don’t want to have to strain out instant coffee grounds. A little paper filter seems usable.

latincoffee

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. I researched it on Amazon last night but reviews weren’t that good. Spewing hot liquid, leaking, not fitting right, etc. I’m still searching.

Several stated they prefer filters as the coffee isn’t as bitter. If a filter isn’t specified, but I used one in the cup, will that ruin the taste? I plan to chill the coffee for iced coffee later on, and make it strong. But I don’t want to have to strain out instant coffee grounds. A little paper filter seems usable.

I have a Keurig, which I got for myself as an early Christmas present. I bought the reusable k cup filter @ Walmart and it's awesome. Coffee tastes great! I use my own coffee. Also, WIth my Keurig, I got 2 free coffee Kcups, 2 free hot chocolate k cups and 3 Lipton Tea K cups.

Enjoy! :coffeecup:

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site

I have pretty much the same Keurig as yours but it's older and was called a Mini. It seems like the top washer around the needle is not making a good seal and allowing grounds to come out. I never had that issues with the refillable Ekobrew or any of the others I tried but I did read about it. Here is a fix at amazon but I'm pretty sure you could come up with something similar with out have to buy this. Basically you put a washer under the rubber grommet to force it down so it makes a better seal.

https://www.amazon.com/Gasket-Washer-Cap-Keurig-Brewers/dp/B00A41MUAS

One other issue to remember is as it gets used you will need to clean the needles on the top and bottom. While I don't use the Mini to make coffee for me my wife does so I maintain it for her. I'm not going to candy coat it, it's a pain in my rear end to keep it working like it should but I will give credit where credit is due, it has lasted longer than any other coffee brewer I've owned.

Also after you add the grounds to the Ekobrew or which ever one you decide on don't tamp/tap it to get more grounds in there, this is the only time I ever had issues with it not working correctly.

SickSquirrel

Dec 27, 2017
Westport Point MA
Visit site
Arrived yesterday due to the blizzard. Opened it up and looked around to familiarize myself with it. No coffee came with it. I’m going to order the reusable Kcup on Amazon now. Seems easy to use. Tomorrow I hope to have someone make me a cup of cocoa as that’s the only kcups I have right now.