Pre heat water for comercial brewer

stuartmac

Feb 5, 2018
NB Canada
Visit site
Im trying to spruce up a newco airpot brewer for my coffee trailer, im well aware that there are much nicer batch brewers out there with far more functionality but at the moment a fancy brewer is out of the budget.

My newco is an 120v older model with a 1400w element, i removed the old tstat and replaced it with a watlow pid. Ive also added a momentary push button for the water solenoid for a bloom infusion. At the very least i know know the boiler temp.
26992114_10155374129416139_7460062757070063035_n.jpg

With the pid set to 200 and an incoming water temp of about 50 my brew water starts at about 185 and by the end of a 2L brew cycle my brew water is down to 168 and the boiler is down to 161, from here i have to wait almost 10 min for the boiler to warm back up.

My Astoria 2g leaver is gas so i was wondering if i could implement a copper pipe pre heat circuit with a few loops around the boiler in vicinity of the burner , with a few fittings i can run my flojet input and split it in the machine to also output the preheated water to the newco brewer.

Would a preheat circuit improve my brew temp stability?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I have no idea if it would help or not... but one thing you may consider is a RV tank heater. They are basically electric blankets to keep RV water tanks from freezing. Low wattage but they also don't get the water very warm.