Advice Please: Looking for an Espresso Machine for a Mobile Coffee Van

Fergie

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I am in the process of converting a horse box into a mobile coffee van and would like some advice on coffee machines. I am aiming to sell quality coffee so want to get it right. Is it worth spending money on a traditional lever machine or go for an automatic? Is it worth buying a second hand machine or is this too risky? Look forward to hearing your opinions and experiences.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Actually had a mobile setup for a handful of years. Although levers are awesome, it may be too much time/effort for some to use effectively/efficiently. OTOH I'm not a fan of autos either, but most autos don't have to be operated via volumetric controls and can still be controlled manually. I had a 2 group NS Aurelia, which is an awesome/dependable workhorse easily on par with anything on the market. I controlled every extraction manually and steamed every pitcher by hand. I mention that as the Aurelia (model I owned) had two traditional steam wands and a 3rd wand that was automated via a temperature set point. That machine was so well designed I could extract from both groups while steaming wide open (32 oz. of milk) and never lost boiler pressure in the process. It constantly recovered during use and never left me waiting for it to be ready. Granted there are likely other machines equally as impressive, but I personally haven't used one that was. That included 2 La Marzoccos that so many people put on such an almighty pedestal.

For machine selection just get something that will keep up with more than the demand you expect to have at events and has a solid reputation for reliability/user friendliness if you're not that familiar with the equipment/process. Any well designed 2 group HX (heat exchange) should be fine and keep in mind these beasts will need a fair amount of power to be used for hours on end. Generators are of course a great way to power them, but also having an electrical connection if any way possible is much better/cheaper by far.

Last edited:

Fergie

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Thank you that's really helpful

Actually had a mobile setup for a handful of years. Although levers are awesome, it may be too much time/effort for some to use effectively/efficiently. OTOH I'm not a fan of autos either, but most autos don't have to be operated via volumetric controls and can still be controlled manually. I had a 2 group NS Aurelia, which is an awesome/dependable workhorse easily on par with anything on the market. I controlled every extraction manually and steamed every pitcher by hand. I mention that as the Aurelia (model I owned) had two traditional steam wands and a 3rd wand that was automated via a temperature set point. That machine was so well designed I could extract from both groups while steaming wide open (32 oz. of milk) and never lost boiler pressure in the process. It constantly recovered during use and never left me waiting for it to be ready. Granted there are likely other machines equally as impressive, but I personally haven't used one that was. That included 2 La Marzoccos that so many people put on such an almighty pedestal.

For machine selection just get something that will keep up with more than the demand you expect to have at events and has a solid reputation for reliability/user friendliness if you're not that familiar with the equipment/process. Any well designed 2 group HX (heat exchange) should be fine and keep in mind these beasts will need a fair amount of power to be used for hours on end. Generators are of course a great way to power them, but also having an electrical connection if any way possible is much better/cheaper by far.

Thank you Shadow that's really helpful

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Forgot to mention anything about used machines... Yes buying used is fine IF you know what to look for regarding use/abuse/maintenance. Commercial machines are built to be left on/used all day for years. Over time things like group gaskets, steam valve seals, etc. wear and have to be replaced. Those things are cheap/easy preventive maintenance items. As long as the machine was fed decent quality water, backflushed often to keep things clog-free, etc. it will likely be OK. Items like pumps, pressure stats (HX machines), heating element(s), etc. may have to be replaced after years of use, but wouldn't worry about that until the need arises.

What type of events do you intend to frequent?

The espresso machine/grinder is the heart of an operation such as that as you can do any type of coffee based drink, chai, hot tea, etc. I personally wouldn't bother with drip as a dedicated brewer/grinder takes up a fair amount of space, etc. as a great/quick/efficient alternative is an Americano. Might also want to have a few blenders/ice machine onboard if blended drinks are popular in your area. They sure were in our surrounding areas.

Any other questions or info needed?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Fergie...

Just to be clear... there are lever machines, semi automatic machines and full/super automatic machines. Full/super automatic espresso machines grind, tamp and extract. Semi automatics (like the Aurelia) machines often have a option to be 'volumetric" which simply means its going to dispense X amount of water and stop. "Most" people recommend going with a Semi Automatic machines without volumetric controls. I personally have a Linea (and I do LOVE it... ) with volumetric controls - but I never use the volumetric function, I simply stop the shot with the switch. Even with my love for the Linea, I think dollar for dollar there much better solutions on the market. I personally recommend to my clients the Aurelia's - kick ass espresso machines. Less expensive than the Linea and I LOVE the paddles for steam.. twist the damn knob for steam on a Linea all day long and it wears on your hands/arms.

Mike

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I'd have to classify them as follows... semi-autos (which the operator controls the extraction start-finish), then autos in which volumetrics come into play, then full/super autos that do all the work for you. To each his/her own I suppose...

efriese

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
It also depends on what power you have available. I converted a Sprinter van to a coffee truck last year and getting enough power for a decent machine was tough. I started with a 2 group Rancilio Class 8, but I couldn't find a generator that was big enough AND quiet. I ended up downsizing to a Rancilio Class 5 single group that is 120V and I can run from a Honda 7000. It's not perfect. The steam wand is a little weak but besides that it can handle some decent traffic. Pulling hot water for an americano really hits the boiler pressure, so I started carrying hot water with me. I've done a few events with over 100 drinks in a 2 hour span and the machine kept up.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I'd have to classify them as follows... semi-autos (which the operator controls the extraction start-finish), then autos in which volumetrics come into play, then full/super autos that do all the work for you. To each his/her own I suppose...

True... power was never an issue for us as we had a Generac home standby generator bolted to the back rack. Was around 14K watts running and 18K starting watt rating. Ran it off of propane. If I ever did something like that again I'd get a large capacity diesel generator and feed it from the Sprinter tank.

The van was equipped with the 2 group/14 liter boiler Aurelia. Without looking up specs I think it pulled around 4500 watts heating. Also ran a full size upright refrigerator, 2 BlendTec blenders, a Hoshizaki icemaker, a Bosch water heater, 3 Shurflo 115v water pumps, a Bunn VPR airpot brewer and a Carrier overhead A/C unit. All of that was running simultaneously quite often and that generator never had a hiccup keeping up.

We also always had a HEAVY duty 75' power cable with 240v/50 amp capacity. Our daily retail spot was equipped with electricity and we could operate 6-7 hrs. daily/5 days weekly on average and the bill averaged around $50 per month. That is about what it cost us to run the generator on propane just a few days. Anytime we went to events (often) we always tried to secure electricity as there is no noise and super cheap compared to running a generator.

Last edited: