Drip coffee machine for fewer cups? (Difficult to find)

kayanco

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

Can you please help finding a SCAA certified coffee machine that does a good job brewing 8-16 oz, but can also brew more?
Basically a coffee machine that does a good job whether brewing 8 oz or 40 oz.

I've researched and tried a few coffee makers on the SCAA website (Specialty Coffee Association of America
Bonavita.
Technivorm Moccamaster.

But came across some issues:

- Most of these are 8 cup, and recommend a minimum of around 6 cups (for example, the Amazon page for the Behmor Brazen says "6 cup brew minimum"). So they aren't suited for the 8-16 oz range I'm looking for.

- It also seems that the initial water which comes out isn't at the ideal temperature. It reaches that temperate towards the middle of the brew process.

So I'm wondering if there's a machine that reaches the ideal temperature right from the start?

Looks the like Wilfa machine might do that, based on this old post:
https://www.home-barista.com/brewing/wilfa-black-precision-t26462.html#p323014
(a user tested it and stated that it reached the right temperate from the "first few drops").

But it's discontinued from Williams Sanoma, apparently due to bad reviews. Similarly, it doesn't have great Amazon review and is only sold indirectly from 3rd party seller.

Another machine that "appears" promising is the OXO 9-cup, because it has a 2-4 cup setting. Does anyone know if the water is at the right temperate from the beginning?

Any other suggestions please?

I'd be thankful for your help!

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Look at a moccamaster with the controllable basket for blooming. You can shut the basket off so it won't start dripping right away. On another coffee forum I've read a few threads where making smaller batches are doable with this one. They are a little spendy but they have a five year warranty. I have the cup-one moccamaster and love it but it only makes 10oz at a time.

kayanco

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
Look at a moccamaster with the controllable basket for blooming. You can shut the basket off so it won't start dripping right away. On another coffee forum I've read a few threads where making smaller batches are doable with this one. They are a little spendy but they have a five year warranty. I have the cup-one moccamaster and love it but it only makes 10oz at a time.

Hi,

Thanks.

I've looked in to this method. One concern I have is that the temperature might not be high enough for that initial 16 oz of water. I've heard/read that for the Moccamaster (and Bonavita) the water reaches the optimal temperature only after some time.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Actually the OXO 9 cup appears to be what you are looking for and gets fairly good reviews at Amazon (for what that's worth these days). Just make sure where ever you buy it to check out their return policy.

Not to get off topic but I find it funny that a SCAA-certified brewer would have a start timer on it, no body that is serious about their brew is going to grind beans 8 hours before using them.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

kayanco

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site

Btw, I'm a little surprised that more coffee makers don't have flow control baskets. I really like this concept on the Moccamaster and the Wilfa.
Anyone know why most don't have this feature.

Any way to have this with the Bonavita?

kayanco

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
Quick question, the Bonavita BV01002US has a clean LED button which "illuminates when it is time to clean your brewer".
Any experience with this? Is it useful?

I'm wondering because the other Bonavita models don't have this feature. Not sure if it's just a gimmick.

Thanks.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I have never seen a brewer which has a 'max' capacity of 40 oz (8 cups) but will also go down to 8 oz (2 cups) - so I think your limited to a higher capacity brewer. IMO... the two out of the SCAA certified brewers to look at the Bonavita and Technivorm. One of the big resellers did a test of actual temp at brew basket and both came out on top.

I have the Bonavita 1900 and regularly make 1/2 batches (20 oz) - I'm happy with the quality of brew.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Btw, I'm a little surprised that more coffee makers don't have flow control baskets. I really like this concept on the Moccamaster and the Wilfa.
Anyone know why most don't have this feature.

Any way to have this with the Bonavita?

I image the reason for most brewers not having a controllable basket is the average person doesn't want to mess with it, they just want to add water/coffee and hit a button.

The Bonavita BV01002US doesn't appear to have a controllable basket but it has the pre-infusion (fancy name for blooming) which I think is the whole concept behind a controllable basket. If I had the need to make pots of coffee I would seriously look into this one. When I was searching for a new brewer last year at this time I don't remember any having this option. This one also appears to make a little as 2 cups.

As for the light that comes on to tell you to clean the brewer may be a good thing how ever I had this feature on a Bunn Phase Brew but I never seen it come on.

Last edited:

win231

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Behmor Brazen. It does 8 cups maximum (5 oz cups). It has a bloom feature you can set for different times . I also have a Technivorm (being repaired after I dropped it & broke the water reservoir). After using both, I don't see any difference; in fact the Behmor is superior in some features (better shower head design) at less than half the price.
To pre-soak in the Technivorm, I start the brew with the carafe away from the basket & hold in that white safety button. After soaking, I slide the carafe in place (which keeps that button pushed in. I also have to stir the grounds due to the poor shower head design.