Baratza Virtuoso striped gear (585)

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Last weekend I was grinding some beans for an afternoon cup when all of a sudden my grinder started making an awful noise, my wife even came in and asked what was going on. After some inspecting and watching a couple videos I took it apart and sure enough the inside of the grinder was full of metal shavings. So I started thinking do I buy a new one or repair this one, after all it's over six years old. After seeing the kit to fix this was only $15 I decided to fix it and while I got it apart I might as well upgrade to the new burrs. Well they didn't have any of the new burrs in stock so I just ordered what I needed. The parts finally came in yesterday and it took me about an hour to change it out but I have to say it was worth it. With the new plastic gear it is like a new grinder, it runs smoother and doesn't make near as much noise.

I think it is just unbelievable that a company now a days has the parts and videos to help a guy fix his product rather than make you buy a new one.

Now I can give my arm a rest after having to hand grind all week.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Last weekend I was grinding some beans for an afternoon cup when all of a sudden my grinder started making an awful noise, my wife even came in and asked what was going on. After some inspecting and watching a couple videos I took it apart and sure enough the inside of the grinder was full of metal shavings. So I started thinking do I buy a new one or repair this one, after all it's over six years old. After seeing the kit to fix this was only $15 I decided to fix it and while I got it apart I might as well upgrade to the new burrs. Well they didn't have any of the new burrs in stock so I just ordered what I needed. The parts finally came in yesterday and it took me about an hour to change it out but I have to say it was worth it. With the new plastic gear it is like a new grinder, it runs smoother and doesn't make near as much noise.

I think it is just unbelievable that a company now a days has the parts and videos to help a guy fix his product rather than make you buy a new one.

Now I can give my arm a rest after having to hand grind all week.

Good Work! I'm sure if feels fantiastic to be able to take care of the problem on your own, and actually get it fixed right. Nicely done!