Please Help! Nuova Simonelli Oscar Spraying From Group Head Area

que288

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have a Nuova Simonelli Oscar (version 1). Every time I try and pull a shot, water leaks/sprays from somewhere in the group head. At first, I assumed my grind might be fine or tamp too strong. However, even when I make the grind courser and the shot comes out faster, water is still spraying out from above the portafilter basket. I then bought a new group head screen and group head gasket, and replaced those. However, I just tried brewing another shot and water is STILL spraying out from somewhere.
I really have no idea what is causing this.

Does anyone please have any advice or tips they can offer?

que288

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
When you say spraying out - what exactly do you mean. When you have the portafilter engaged in the machine does it leak from the sides and spray?

Here is the parts breakout - it could be a number of internal components.

Id like to think I satisfactorily cleaned the gasket area before inserting it. I made sure there wasn't any coffee grounds or rubber pieces left. I also made sure I put the gasket in with the correct side up. Does it usually take some time for a new gasket to reseal itself? The leak that is spraying everywhere also is spraying a little bit of coffee grounds.

Would a solenoid valve or neplex problem cause this kind of leaking? How can I tell? Its not leaking within the machine, just by the ground head area solely right after the coffee grounds get infused, when the espresso starts to come out, during brewing.

Thanks

que288

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
When you say spraying out - what exactly do you mean. When you have the portafilter engaged in the machine does it leak from the sides and spray?

Yes. Espresso still comes out normally, but there is also simultaneous spraying/dripping coming from the sides

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Yes. Espresso still comes out normally, but there is also simultaneous spraying/dripping coming from the sides

OK.. it's most likely your o-ring not sealing properly. Especially if you are only seeing this leaking under pressure with the portafilter engaged (aka spraying vs. leaking). You could have a grouphead leaking but I would say it's unlikely. You can take the portafilter out of the machine and turn the water flow on/off... you will see some water still come out of the grouphead after you turn off. But if it continues to drip then you have a leaky grouphead. Sometimes o-rings just suck and sometimes you don't get things clean enough. I've never had too many problems with o-rings but I did have one for the life of me I couldn't get it to seat properly. The other thing to check is your portafilter basket - any dings? Simple way to check is swap portafilters or port baskets.