Need a new coffee machine, but I'm picky :)

csny

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new machine. I currently have a Breville Grind Control and it's just horrible. Definitely don't recommend this at all to anyone. It just isn't consistent and there's no way that I've found to adjust the amount of coffee it grinds to match the cup size. It grinds about 7 grams for a 6 oz cup and the same for a 12 oz cup. Needless to say, this isn't acceptable.

Ok, so I need some recommendations. I like the features of the BGC in that I can make a single cup and it will fit my travel mug.

I need the machine to grind the beans and either make a single cup (travel size, 12 oz) or a pot.

I'm looking at the Spinn machine, but it's not out yet and I'm a little leary of the whole kickstarter thing.

Price really isn't a factor, consistently good coffee is.

Thanks!

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Most reviews on combo machines are not good. I've been happy with my Baratza for several years and have the older model and when a gear broke it was very easy to fix. Baratza has all the parts and videos to repair them. Finding a brewer that makes a single cup and a pot might be tricky as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Baratza-586-Virtuoso-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B006MLQHRG

I wanted a single cup maker also and had experience with Keurig and wanted something better so I went with a Moccamaster cup-one.

https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-M...=8-1-spons&keywords=moccamaster+cup+one&psc=1

If you look at some of the reviews for this one they say it's capable of making smaller cups. I about went with this one but really don't have need for full pots, if I need to make two cups I use my Chemex.

https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-M...=8-2-spons&keywords=moccamaster+cup+one&psc=1

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I had a Bunn Phase Brew that made good coffee and lasted about 5 years but it did not keep water hot 24/7, it looks like most of the one's in your link do so if you drink multiple pots through out the day then that would be a good idea other wise it's a waste if you only make one pot a day.

vivawugudu

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I had a Bunn Phase Brew that made good coffee and lasted about 5 years but it did not keep water hot 24/7, it looks like most of the one's in your link do so if you drink multiple pots through out the day then that would be a good idea other wise it's a waste if you only make one pot a day.

Yup, you just have to keep them plugged in on a power outlet and keep the coffee maker running. I drink coffee at least twice a day and we have parties every month.

coffeefanatic232

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
If price isn't a factor, you can't beat having a dedicated grinder. The Baratza Virtuoso someone else linked to is great. The Baratza Encore is a little cheaper and doesn't have quite as good of a burr, but it's a good intro grinder too. Aside from that BUNN makes good coffee makers, I like their Velocity Brew series.