Help Please: Other usage for coffee pods ? Can they be used in other ways?

SickSquirrel

Dec 27, 2017
Westport Point MA
Visit site
I have a variety of coffee pods for my Keurig one-cup coffee maker. I haven’t used it yet but will soon.

The pods contain concentrated coffee, I assume. If I want to use a coffee maker (12 oz), could I open a pod and use part of it? Say a pod makes a quart of coffee, and I need enough for twelve ounces of double-strength coffee. Theoretically I could measure the amount in the pod, use half of it with plain ice cubes for iced coffee, then put the remaining coffee in a plastic bag for the next cuppa. Is this doable or am I overthinking this?

I’d take a teaspoon of hot water in a paper cup and add two Splenda tabs, coffee creamer and probably flavoring. Id add this to the finished cold brew.

I'm thinking that instant coffee is already brewed but dried, and hot water wakes it up. But coarse ground beans are raw and need to sit in the tumbler and brew for twelve hours. But but but instant coffee sitting in water for twenty hours will be strong but bitter, right?

Time to stop thinking and wait for responses!

Thank you.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Sick Squirrel,

You say you are using pods for a Keurig one-cup coffee maker. Is it a 8 ounce cup? 10 ounce cup? 12 ounce cup?

I'm not sure why you think one pod would make a quart of coffee?

Your best option is to just experiment on your own to see if you can use the pods to make double strength coffee in a different coffee maker. You may be surprised to see that one pod, or maybe two, will do it for you.

Let us know how it works out.

~ Rose

SickSquirrel

Dec 27, 2017
Westport Point MA
Visit site
I’ve never used the coffee maker. I think it’s the 5540 model; one cup only but not the upgraded version.

From my research, these little cups or pods brew four cups of coffee. Four coffees at eight ounces each equals a quart.

i can’t experiment like that. I’m disabled in a wheelchair and my hands and fingers aren’t always doing what I want. I don’t have unlimited pod thingies and can’t afford to waste what I have.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I’ve never used the coffee maker. I think it’s the 5540 model; one cup only but not the upgraded version.

From my research, these little cups or pods brew four cups of coffee. Four coffees at eight ounces each equals a quart.

i can’t experiment like that. I’m disabled in a wheelchair and my hands and fingers aren’t always doing what I want. I don’t have unlimited pod thingies and can’t afford to waste what I have.

It sounds like your best option is to just take the K-Cup pods that you have, and use then in your Keurig coffee maker. That's what they were made for, and if you try to open them and use them in another kind of brewer, you may discover that it was a bad idea.

Maybe one of our other Forum members will be able to share some knowledge regarding experimenting with K-Cup pods and different brewers.

~ Rose

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
K-cup's simply have small amounts of coffee in the cup (usually about 8 grams). They are generally not any type of concentrate and generally only enough coffee to produce about a 5 oz cup. K-cups in general are the most expensive way to make coffee, ditch the k-cup if you can and use whole bean/ground coffee.