Best Pour Over Setup

Howdy folks,

I recently got into pour overs about a year ago after I visited one of my local coffee shops and it has been my favorite way to enjoy coffee and I would rank it higher than espresso, I order it more than espresso. I've been looking on the Seattle Coffee Gear website and I can't seem to figure out which equipment would be the best for me. I can't decide if I want to go with a Stagg EKG kettle with a Chemex and a Smart Pro grinder filters and a dripper or go with a Hario,Chemex, filters, and a dripper. I also want to add a Kalita 300ml glass server as well to make a small cup for me at home to not have to pay for a cup every time I want a pour over (I really want to learn to make one myself). What do you all recommend for someone to get for a home setup?

BescaRoasting

Oct 14, 2018
Michigan
Visit site
I use a hario with their paper filters and a stainless steel pour over kettle. I'll have to check the brand. I really like my hario, great setup. Simple and consistent. A slow and consistent flow rate is what you are looking for in a kettle. I like the ones with a thermometer built in.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
You can't go wrong with the EKG for your electric kettle, solid decision. Regarding the dripper they all tend to have their own flavor profile - the most popular drippers are the Hario V60 or Kalita Wave (large). The Chemex is nice as well but produces a cleaner cup due to the fact their filters are EXTRA thick. Honestly, I have all 3 and I switch between them and they are all great. Regarding the server.. I would probably get a touch bigger one... Hario makes a 600ml.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
If your crunched for cash... I would just get a gooseneck kettle that goes on your stove (assuming you have a stovetop you could use).... if you need an electric kettle look at the Bonavita. The grinder on the low end to get is the Baratza Encore.. and spring for the ceramic V60 over plastic.

DwightYorke

Nov 2, 2018
Visit site
I would stay away from Chemex and go for something like either the Kalita Wave or Hario V60 instead. Easier and more consistent. Just get one of them and use it for a while until you have mastered the technique.

Many people forget that the paper filters you put in your cone are just as important as the shape of the cone. So make sure that you get the right proprietary ones, oxygen bleached, and not some cheap knock-offs that will add cardboard taste to the cup.

Regarding the kettle, there are so many, and they all work pretty much similar IMO. I feel EKG is a bit overdesigned but that's just me.

Sep 13, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Oh Hario Air was my setup when I was taking my EMBA.

Its sooo true! Super handy and useful just make sure you have a good burr grinder. Cause its essential for getting the most out of your pour-over coffee. So if ever you still don't have one look for one that produces a consistent grind size and that has multiple grinding settings to accommodate different types of coffee beans.

Last edited: