Help me choose a coffee maker, espresso machine, and a grinder

Joe72892

Dec 12, 2018
Visit site
Newb here. These are the machines I'm thinking about:

• Breville BCG820BKSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder ($179)
  • DeLonghi America, Inc EC685R Dedica Deluxe 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine ($244)
  • Breville BDC455BSS Precision Brewer Coffee Maker w/pour over kit (SCA/SCAA certified) ($219)

The grinder I chose because it has lots of electronics and can weigh and measure proper amounts so I don't have to. Dial-in a dose and get it! However, it does have some bad reviews having to do with jamming. So I may continue looking.

The espresso machine, DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe, was chosen because it is narrow and doesn't fill the whole counter. It had pretty good reviews and a little programmability. It's a manual but looked simple to operate.

The Breville BDC450 Precision Brewer Coffee Maker was chosen because it is SCA certified and at least I'll know it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I also liked that it has a stainless steel carafe which keeps coffee warm without reheating like a glass carafe with a hot plate. Seattle Coffee Gear seemed to like it also. (Edit: removed the Behmor Connect due to reviews)

What do you think of these choices? Is there better for the same price? What's your recommendation?

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Joe,

I'm guessing that you are looking for the coffee equipment for home use.

It's great that you've already done some research on your own, and you have an some ideas regarding what you'd want.

Hopefully a few of our members on this forum will be able to give you some input on the machines you listed, or make other recommendations for others that may work out for you.

~ Rose

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
As far as grinders go... I would suggest taking a look at the Baratzas; the Encore is around $140 or Virtuoso is next step up around $200. If you want to do espresso - the Virtuoso is the least expensive option to go with.. and realistically it would be better to upgrade to Sette ~$250.. Now for espresso machines, anything worth buying is much more expensive. The lower end machines will be very disappointing if you expect to make 'cafe' drinks. They simply don't have strong enough pumps, etc to make decent espresso and frothing milk is worse. A Rancillio Sivlia is about the starting point for espresso machines around $700 (and again you will need a higher end grinder that grinds more consistently). The Behmor brewer is a good choice... never used it myself but I've heard its got a touch of a learning curve. I personally recommend the Bonavita 1600 w/ stainless craft.. usually about $150 and makes great coffee.

Fullcaf

Jul 26, 2018
Delaware
Visit site
I faced A similar situation earlier. After doing some research I discovered that everyone that reviewed this situation said to spend most of your money on a good grinder. You can always upgrade your espresso machine but a good grinder Will serve you well in all circumstances. I personally use a Barratza Vario. It’s easy to clean and gives a consistent grind. Invest in a digital scale and you’ll have no problem with regard to getting the proper dosage. You can buy them as cheaply as $10 , However a more expensive one will allow you to measure in different units such as milliliters grams and ounces. The espresso machine you buy will be determined by your budget. If you can afford it go for one with two boilers . Don’t be afraid of the espresso machines we all make mistakes and rotter brews. That’s the fun of this habit.

green_sparrow

Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, USA
Visit site
Newb here. These are the machines I'm thinking about:

• Breville BCG820BKSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder ($179)
  • DeLonghi America, Inc EC685R Dedica Deluxe 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine ($244)
  • Breville BDC455BSS Precision Brewer Coffee Maker w/pour over kit (SCA/SCAA certified) ($219)

The grinder I chose because it has lots of electronics and can weigh and measure proper amounts so I don't have to. Dial-in a dose and get it! However, it does have some bad reviews having to do with jamming. So I may continue looking.

The espresso machine, DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe, was chosen because it is narrow and doesn't fill the whole counter. It had pretty good reviews and a little programmability. It's a manual but looked simple to operate.

The Breville BDC450 Precision Brewer Coffee Maker was chosen because it is SCA certified and at least I'll know it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I also liked that it has a stainless steel carafe which keeps coffee warm without reheating like a glass carafe with a hot plate. Seattle Coffee Gear seemed to like it also. (Edit: removed the Behmor Connect due to reviews)

What do you think of these choices? Is there better for the same price? What's your recommendation?

Good setup for a beginner!
If you're still choosing the grinder, I'll add my two cents about Barratza, as I use Virtuoso. It's slightly pricier than Breville you've mentioned, but it can handle anything from espresso to french. Another plus is Barratza's warranty policies.
For espresso machine, I use Breville Duo which I was recommended as a beginner (and I like it). Not a professional device, but it serves me well for two years.

davidgreams

Jan 27, 2019
Visit site
I have the Eureka mignon and it is exceptional for the price. A lot of grinders can make good coffee, but have problems with cleaning, holding adjustment, static, or retention. The minion does everything pretty well.

The only annoyance is that the timer knob needs to be clicked into place or it won't stop grinding. You'll know what I mean if you try to use one. :coffee:

Last edited:

jjason

Jan 1, 2019
Visit site
For serious coffee beginner, I suggest add some budget on grinder. I will recommend Baratza Virtuoso which is better than Encore.

diazsjonathan8

May 17, 2019
Gibsonia, PA 15044
Visit site
Hesitated to purchase this machine(Breville BDC650BSS Grind Control Coffee Maker, Brushed Stainless Steel) based on the feedback by Dean Melville; glad we took the risk. Item works as it should. Coffee stays hot in Carafe as it should, makes great coffee. Carafe is not like most other Carafe and does have a different feel when using, but it is a non-issue. This item replaced K-cup machine and regular machine. We've been using this coffee maker for a few weeks now and we are still very pleased with it. The device comes with a gold filter which does not always catch the finer particles which end up in the coffee ( this is true for all gold filters we have used in other coffee makers); we now use paper filters which prevents the finest of particles from ending up in the coffee.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
thanks Mr. Peaberry for correcting my mistake

That mistake happens a lot. I have noticed that when speaking, many people think the word carafe is pronounced "craft" because they say (and hear) it so fast. But, like many other words, when it is written, it is spelled totally different.

As "they" say, "You learn something new every day."

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
thanks mr.peaberry to correct my mistake :)
To be fair...Musicphan started it...lol! We all are guilty of similar crimes, esp. when it comes to song lyrics, right?? I don't recall how many years I thought the lyrics "He just smiled and gave me a vegimite sandwich" (Down Under by Men at Work) were instead: "He just smiled and gave me a bite of ?? sandwich"!! :coffee:

desert_comi

Jun 12, 2019
Oakland, California
Visit site
I can't help you with the information about choosen machines. I'm using the Cuisinart DCC-450BK for filter coffee, which is a bit more affordable. To be honest, I'm completely satisfied with this one, so if you still didn't made a decision, maybe you should take a look at something like that.

When I was buying coffee maker I have read a lot of forums and review sites. I wanted to find something that completly fits my needs, but also, to be affordable. Than I came across some article about coffee makers which I found useful and that helped me to make my decision. I'll leave a link so anyone interested in coffee makers can take a look. Maybe it can help to someone else: https://www.bestproductspro.com/4-cup-coffee-makers/

Have a nice day! :coffee: