Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me choose a coffee maker, espresso machine, and a grinder

Newb here. These are the machines I'm thinking about:

• Breville BCG820BKSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder ($179)
    • DeLonghi America, Inc EC685R Dedica Deluxe 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine ($244)
    • Breville BDC455BSS Precision Brewer Coffee Maker w/pour over kit (SCA/SCAA certified) ($219)

The grinder I chose because it has lots of electronics and can weigh and measure proper amounts so I don't have to. Dial-in a dose and get it! However, it does have some bad reviews having to do with jamming. So I may continue looking.

The espresso machine, DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe, was chosen because it is narrow and doesn't fill the whole counter. It had pretty good reviews and a little programmability. It's a manual but looked simple to operate.

The Breville BDC450 Precision Brewer Coffee Maker was chosen because it is SCA certified and at least I'll know it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I also liked that it has a stainless steel carafe which keeps coffee warm without reheating like a glass carafe with a hot plate. Seattle Coffee Gear seemed to like it also. (Edit: removed the Behmor Connect due to reviews)

What do you think of these choices? Is there better for the same price? What's your recommendation?
    Last edited by Joe72892; 12-14-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Super Moderator
    Hi Joe,

I'm guessing that you are looking for the coffee equipment for home use.

It's great that you've already done some research on your own, and you have an some ideas regarding what you'd want.

Hopefully a few of our members on this forum will be able to give you some input on the machines you listed, or make other recommendations for others that may work out for you.

~ Rose

As far as grinders go... I would suggest taking a look at the Baratzas; the Encore is around $140 or Virtuoso is next step up around $200. If you want to do espresso - the Virtuoso is the least expensive option to go with.. and realistically it would be better to upgrade to Sette ~$250.. Now for espresso machines, anything worth buying is much more expensive. The lower end machines will be very disappointing if you expect to make 'cafe' drinks. They simply don't have strong enough pumps, etc to make decent espresso and frothing milk is worse. A Rancillio Sivlia is about the starting point for espresso machines around $700 (and again you will need a higher end grinder that grinds more consistently). The Behmor brewer is a good choice... never used it myself but I've heard its got a touch of a learning curve. I personally recommend the Bonavita 1600 w/ stainless craft.. usually about $150 and makes great coffee.

Try to grab online sell while billion day or black friday. you will get big dicsount

I faced A similar situation earlier. After doing some research I discovered that everyone that reviewed this situation said to spend most of your money on a good grinder. You can always upgrade your espresso machine but a good grinder Will serve you well in all circumstances. I personally use a Barratza Vario. It’s easy to clean and gives a consistent grind. Invest in a digital scale and you’ll have no problem with regard to getting the proper dosage. You can buy them as cheaply as $10 , However a more expensive one will allow you to measure in different units such as milliliters grams and ounces. The espresso machine you buy will be determined by your budget. If you can afford it go for one with two boilers . Don’t be afraid of the espresso machines we all make mistakes and rotter brews. That’s the fun of this habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe72892 View Post
    Newb here. These are the machines I'm thinking about:

• Breville BCG820BKSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder ($179)
    • DeLonghi America, Inc EC685R Dedica Deluxe 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine ($244)
    • Breville BDC455BSS Precision Brewer Coffee Maker w/pour over kit (SCA/SCAA certified) ($219)

The grinder I chose because it has lots of electronics and can weigh and measure proper amounts so I don't have to. Dial-in a dose and get it! However, it does have some bad reviews having to do with jamming. So I may continue looking.

The espresso machine, DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe, was chosen because it is narrow and doesn't fill the whole counter. It had pretty good reviews and a little programmability. It's a manual but looked simple to operate.

The Breville BDC450 Precision Brewer Coffee Maker was chosen because it is SCA certified and at least I'll know it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I also liked that it has a stainless steel carafe which keeps coffee warm without reheating like a glass carafe with a hot plate. Seattle Coffee Gear seemed to like it also. (Edit: removed the Behmor Connect due to reviews)

What do you think of these choices? Is there better for the same price? What's your recommendation?
    Good setup for a beginner!
    If you're still choosing the grinder, I'll add my two cents about Barratza, as I use Virtuoso. It's slightly pricier than Breville you've mentioned, but it can handle anything from espresso to french. Another plus is Barratza's warranty policies.
    For espresso machine, I use Breville Duo which I was recommended as a beginner (and I like it). Not a professional device, but it serves me well for two years.

I have the Eureka mignon and it is exceptional for the price. A lot of grinders can make good coffee, but have problems with cleaning, holding adjustment, static, or retention. The minion does everything pretty well.

The only annoyance is that the timer knob needs to be clicked into place or it won't stop grinding. You'll know what I mean if you try to use one.
    Last edited by davidgreams; 01-27-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Grammar Check

For serious coffee beginner, I suggest add some budget on grinder. I will recommend Baratza Virtuoso which is better than Encore.

This is my favorite coffee maker its really stylish and makes great flavor. I really recommend this one

https://james-and-guest.myshopify.co...r-coffee-maker

Hesitated to purchase this machine(Breville BDC650BSS Grind Control Coffee Maker, Brushed Stainless Steel) based on the feedback by Dean Melville(finalscope.com); glad we took the risk. Item works as it should. Coffee stays hot in Carafe as it should, makes great coffee. Carafe is not like most other Carafe and does have a different feel when using, but it is a non-issue. This item replaced K-cup machine and regular machine. We've been using this coffee maker for a few weeks now and we are still very pleased with it. The device comes with a gold filter which does not always catch the finer particles which end up in the coffee ( this is true for all gold filters we have used in other coffee makers); we now use paper filters which prevents the finest of particles from ending up in the coffee.
    Last edited by diazsjonathan8; 05-18-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links