What is a good setting for Drip, using Baratza Encore?

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I have a small amount of dk. roast bean to grind for Drip, which I never do and may never do again. So I don't want to waste time and bean guessing. I'm taking the drip grind to work for co-workers. My grinder is the Baratza Encore.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Only someone using the Baratza Encore model and is currently using it for drip can help.

That might get you close, but definitely not a guarantee. You can put 10 Encores side-by-side and they will each likely vary to some degree. You have manufacturing tolerances involved, some have calibrated theirs to have better range/consistency either more fine or coarse, all coffees will vary a bit based on bean density, roast level, surface oils, etc. I have never used one, but if the numbers go from 40 (coarse) to 1 (fine), for drip I'd likely use something in the 15-20 range.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Close is all I want, but added to someones experiences. I have no urgent time frame. Just trying to treat the folks at work. Baratza has a guide which seems to indicate a starting point at a setting of 18. It's a strong dark roast, so my guess is to say go to 20 to make it a wee bit more difficult to extract so that it isn't too strong for the common coffee drinker. FYI: There are roughly 3? settings on the Encore to get grinder sides closer, I set mine at closest for espresso. Which my hoped for results is to have a more consistent particle. Just playing around.

gigacoffee

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
There is no fixed grind size that works every time. You need to learn how to adjust the grind and tweak it.

So pick a setting (e.g. 18) and brew some coffee. Taste, test, adjust!

davidgreams

Jan 27, 2019
Visit site
Have you by chance tried chemex? I use 18 for v60 as well, but can't find a grind for chemex that works. Everything that flows correctly seems way to course, but everything that looks correct has to many fines and chokes up.