Manual grinder for all particle sizes

mrdries

Mar 18, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if I could tap into the vast knowledge of these coffee experts. I was looking for a manual grinder which would be able to grind coffee for every particle size, from coarse to very very fine. Apparently, from what I've discovered, there are Turkish coffee grinders made for the purpose of grinding coffee to a powder. But these grinders cannot grind coarse, as I read somewhere. And then there are grinders which are marketed to be able to grind coffee beans from coarse to very fine. Yet it doesn't seem to be true. I found a link where they tested several grinders to grind as fine as possible. And it wasn't even fine enough for espresso. These included the popular Javapresse, Porlex Jp-30, Handground and Hario Skerton. (I can't post the link).

Perhaps such a versatile manual grinder does not exist. Though I thought there might be the possibility that it does exist. So I had to ask.

TheBeanSlinger

Sep 8, 2023
Fort Wayne, IN
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if I could tap into the vast knowledge of these coffee experts. I was looking for a manual grinder which would be able to grind coffee for every particle size, from coarse to very very fine. Apparently, from what I've discovered, there are Turkish coffee grinders made for the purpose of grinding coffee to a powder. But these grinders cannot grind coarse, as I read somewhere. And then there are grinders which are marketed to be able to grind coffee beans from coarse to very fine. Yet it doesn't seem to be true. I found a link where they tested several grinders to grind as fine as possible. And it wasn't even fine enough for espresso. These included the popular Javapresse, Porlex Jp-30, Handground and Hario Skerton. (I can't post the link).

Perhaps such a versatile manual grinder does not exist. Though I thought there might be the possibility that it does exist. So I had to ask.
I was curious if you ever received any information regarding your question. I also use a Porlex Tall II grinder which has a ceramic burr. I've noticed that it can produce various grind sizes, but I've found that grinding too quickly tends to cause beans to be reground, resulting in a finer texture. On the other hand, if you're aiming for a coarser grind, it's better to grind slowly. It seems logical that when grinding slowly, the overall grinding process takes less time.