Advise Please: To purge or not purge the grinder between pour-overs/espresso drinks?

Newcon

Feb 24, 2019
Visit site
Hello all, so I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a new espresso machine, but now I have to consider another thing, I use the Rancillio Rocky, I do daily pour overs and I realize that I would need to purge the grinder between pour overs/espresso drinks? Or does this even matter to you guys? Plus I know there is a hack to make the rocky a step less grinder but can’t find the vid? Any help would be most welcome........ thanks

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I have a Rocky too and find it to be quite awesome. I wouldn't purge and waste coffee... I'd recommend weighing/pouring in what you need for pour over and grind that. Once the grinding is complete brush the top area of burrs for anything that popcorned out of the burrs, which can only be done if the lame finger guard is removed. Then run a brush into the chute to swipe out any remaining coffee and fire the grinder up a few seconds to blow out anything remaining. At this point I'd use a handheld vac and vacuum out anything left in chute. Then go to your typical espresso range setting and you should be good to go. Sounds like a lot of effort, but hardly the case. This takes maybe 1 minute and will leave the grinder like new and ready for the next round.

Newcon

Feb 24, 2019
Visit site
I have a Rocky too and find it to be quite awesome. I wouldn't purge and waste coffee... I'd recommend weighing/pouring in what you need for pour over and grind that. Once the grinding is complete brush the top area of burrs for anything that popcorned out of the burrs, which can only be done if the lame finger guard is removed. Then run a brush into the chute to swipe out any remaining coffee and fire the grinder up a few seconds to blow out anything remaining. At this point I'd use a handheld vac and vacuum out anything left in chute. Then go to your typical espresso range setting and you should be good to go. Sounds like a lot of effort, but hardly the case. This takes maybe 1 minute and will leave the grinder like new and ready for the next round.
thank you my friend, yes it does sound quite the task but knowing the rocky I know it’s not that hard to do