Percolators

erchie

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone know of an high quality electric percolator that will withstand regular (twice daily) use? Previoulsy I have used the electric Delonghi 6cup but the seal has started to become weak. Too many plastic parts that have worn - are there any made from tougher stuff out there?

help apprieciated,

erchie

Erchie,

High quality percolator... sounds a wee bit like an oxymoron to me. Maybe you just mean a brewer?

Percolators are those things that bubble coffee up through a central column and constantly put heat on the coffee. Because of the constant high heat, they are very effective at producing scorched coffee.

If you really, really mean the DeLonghi 6-Cup Electric Percolator DP 6ST, I recommend you set your sights higher. I just googled it and found a review on e-pinions.com. It ranked one star out of a possible five. Ouch.

You can find some very good review and comparison tools for brewers at http://www.wholelattelove.com/coffee_makers.cfm. And no, I don't work for them.

Bodum makes a cool looking vacuum brew coffee pot. Very high cool factor. Vacuum also tends to make great coffee. I haven't use the brewer, but the principle is much more sound. Heat the water once. Don't boil the coffee.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Does this forum not give a warning when posting to an out-dated thread? Some forums I frequent will make sure you understand that a thread is defunct by making you click "OK" on a warning before you can post. Sometimes, it's better to revive an old thread than start a new one, but when a reply is given in response to a post from 9 years ago, that should come with some sort of deterrent.

Just sayin'....

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Does this forum not give a warning when posting to an out-dated thread? Some forums I frequent will make sure you understand that a thread is defunct by making you click "OK" on a warning before you can post. Sometimes, it's better to revive an old thread than start a new one, but when a reply is given in response to a post from 9 years ago, that should come with some sort of deterrent.

Just sayin'....

I hear ya!

Unfortunately, the Forum isn't set up to give you a notice that you're replying to an outdated thread. I wish it did.

It appears that when a lot of people use the Search feature, they don't look at the dates of the threads that come up.

If a person keeps doing it, they get our attention, and they're usually they're not around the Forum for very long after that.

Rose

DorothyGonzalez

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi !

Maybe this Hamilton Beach Stainless 12-Cup Percolator will help you. :)

0004009440614_60X60.gif

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
If you're used to high traffic forums going a few pages deep might take you back several days or weeks. If your not careful around here you can easily fall a few years behind.
Percolators are so far out of fashion I suspect they haven't made a good one in years, except maybe for those huge urn style percolators.
Earlier in the summer I picked up an old Westinghouse percolator in real nice shape at a garage sale for a couple bucks. It even has "strength" dial which I find fascinating.
:coffee:

Mugsy

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: electric percolators

I`m aware that I`m gravedigging an old thread, but there`s a bit of misinformation on the subject that should be addressed. There`s actually nothing wrong with an electric percolator, the trick is finding and using the right one. A properly-designed unit does not "boil the coffee" (a common misconception), it circulates water below the boiling point (in my case, 190 degrees F), over the grounds for a specific length of time (user-selectable to achieve the desired strength), and when the brewing cycle is complete, throttle back slightly to hold the coffee at approximately 175 degrees, with minimal degradation of quality. All in all, a very precise, controlled process which extracts the best that your beans have to offer.

After experimenting with number of different manufacturers and models, I came to the conclusion that (for me, anyway), the answer was a vintage unit from Universal Coffeematic. Their percolators are functional works of art, built like the proverbial you-know-what-house (Art-Deco styling, with beautiful, deep chrome over solid copper....try finding THAT kind of quality these days !) Mine is a top-of-the-line unit from 1956, it had never been used (!), probably a wedding present that got packed away in somebody`s attic for 57 years until I bought it. Been using it every day for 2 1/2 years, it`s built to go the long haul....it`s from a time when "Made in USA" meant that you had purchased the finest product available.

Coffeematics are all over that auction site, typically from $25 to $50....if you`re feeling adventurous, pick one up....you might be pleasantly surprised !

Attachments

• IMG_0233 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_0233 (480x640).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0234 (225x300).jpg
    IMG_0234 (225x300).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 236