Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Did the water leak in the floor area cause any noticeable mold in the floor or under any cabinets or appliances ?

How do other things taste to you? Are you noticing a difference in taste when you eat or drink other food items? If you have irritated nasal passages or a small nasal infection, that can cause a problem with how things taste.

Just a thought.

Please let us know how things are going. I hope you will be back to enjoying your coffee again soon.

~ Rose
    No, it was just a small leak that came up from the floor and got the carpet wet. Wasn't a big deal. No change in tastes or health effects.

But, as noted, it is starting to taste better after I ran a bunch of water through it. Not sure what happened. All I know if that the first batch I ran through after I moved it back had no crema at all. Second and subsequent batches tasted like crap. Then I ran a bunch of water through it (about 10 oz) to check the temperature, and it started tasting better. Still not back completely to where it was before, but definitely drinkable now, whereas before it wasn't.

So, who knows what happened? I sure don't. Maybe some thingamajig got out of alignment or something and is getting back in place. I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    It's awesome that you have found a machine that simply works for you, but you being on your 3rd one kinda hints toward lousy build quality/reliability. When the 3rd one bites the bullet (or bean) maybe step up a bit for better espresso and drastically improved reliability. A Gaggia Classic or the Rancilio Silvia (which I have) will likely survive a typical hurricane/tornado and still function like it should.
    Well, I don't know if it's a reflection of build quality, per se. My first machine I didn't maintain. I mean, I ran cleaner through it once in a while like you should. But I live in a very-hard-water area, and it got calcium deposits, and the flow got worse and worse and the coffee started tasting more and more bitter. Can't blame the machine for that. Should have taken it apart and cleaned it to get the deposits out.

The second machine I bought as a used "floor model," which was a mistake. It didn't taste right right from the start. So who knows that that machine had been through, in terms of servicing and cleaning (probably none).

And this, my third machine, has worked great for a year or two, using only distilled water to avoid hard-water deposits. No problems at all until this recent situation.

So perhaps another machine would be sturdier, in terms of banging it around. But I don't think you can take the fact that it's my third machine as evidence of anything except for user neglect with the first two.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    it seemed very strange that the same day the machine was moved, it started misbehaving.

It may be working its way towards biting the dust.
    It does definitely seem strange. And still unexplained. However, the drastic change from before and after it was moved cannot be explained by "working its way towards biting the dust." If that were the case, it would be a gradual decline in quality. In this case, it was fine one day (and all the days prior to that), and then, all of a sudden tasted like crap. So that indicates an abrupt change caused by some event, not a gradual decline in quality.

Anyway, as noted, running the water through it seems to have helped, and it's much better now than it was when I first posted this. So, still have no idea what's going on, but at least it's starting to taste better, which is good.

I definitely understand hardness as I have a background in water treatment, have been around different treatment/softening systems, but can honestly tell you that using all distilled water (or R.O.) for coffee is not the best thing to do. Coffee needs some minerals for maximum flavor/texture and any water that's totally 'pure' can typically lead to flat/bland coffee. If I were to use something that pure I'd mix in a bit of your tap water or add a pinch of sodium bicarbonate to help buffer it a bit. That will give you somewhat softened water with a bit more body.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by enargins View Post
    So, who knows what happened? I sure don't. Maybe some thingamajig got out of alignment or something and is getting back in place. I have no idea.
    Hummmmm..... Could it be possible that your coffee machine is angry with you for letting those strangers pick it up and move it to another location? Now that you've been giving it a lot of extra attention, maybe it will forgive you and start to behave.

Yes, I think that's definitely it. Either that, or it was terrified that it was being stolen, and it's taken a couple of days for it to recover and calm down.

Now we just have a Coffeeforum version of the saying "got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning": had coffee on the wrong side of the house this morning. Our contribution to English literature.

I wonder if running vinegar diluted in water will help. I have done that to my crap K-cup machine and it helped termendously!

Quote Originally Posted by kafeeaustria View Post
    I wonder if running vinegar diluted in water will help. I have done that to my crap K-cup machine and it helped termendously!
    Thanks for the reply. After running a tankful of water through it, it's back to normal. I have no idea what happened. All I know is after it was moved, it first had no crema; then it had crema, but tasted like crap; then it slowly started tasting better; then, after running a tankful of water through it, it's back to normal. I have no idea what was going on. I'm just "tankful" that it's better now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links