Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Please: Trying to figure out what happened to my DeLonghi EC155 espresso machine

I have a DeLonghi EC 155 espresso machine. I've had it for a couple of years, and it's made great (to me anyway) espresso. I use only distilled water in it, to keep it from getting hard water deposits, as I live in a very hard water area. Everything's been great.

The other day I had a leak in my kitchen area, and then maintenance guys were working. I stepped away for a few minutes, and when I returned, everything on one side of my kitchen had been moved to the other side, including my espresso machine.

I've since put everything back. But now my machine doesn't make good espresso anymore. It tastes all heavy and with a burnt taste. The espresso coming out looks the same as it always had, with the same amount of crema (though the first batch after I put it back didn't have any crema). But I'm on my 3rd batch now, and it just tastes awful!

What could they have done to mess up my machine so? Maybe they banged it when they put it on the other counter?

I'm hoping there's something I can do to fix this, as I don't want to have to buy another machine, as this one was working great up until now.

Any ideas? Thanks!

They switched your coffee...

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by enargins View Post
    I have a DeLonghi EC 155 espresso machine. I've had it for a couple of years, and it's made great (to me anyway) espresso. I use only distilled water in it, to keep it from getting hard water deposits, as I live in a very hard water area. Everything's been great.

The other day I had a leak in my kitchen area, and then maintenance guys were working. I stepped away for a few minutes, and when I returned, everything on one side of my kitchen had been moved to the other side, including my espresso machine.

I've since put everything back. But now my machine doesn't make good espresso anymore. It tastes all heavy and with a burnt taste. The espresso coming out looks the same as it always had, with the same amount of crema (though the first batch after I put it back didn't have any crema). But I'm on my 3rd batch now, and it just tastes awful!

What could they have done to mess up my machine so? Maybe they banged it when they put it on the other counter?

I'm hoping there's something I can do to fix this, as I don't want to have to buy another machine, as this one was working great up until now.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Is this the same machine that you posted about back in 2015? Espresso's Not As Good With My New Machine

If you are not seeing any visible dents in the machine or parts, the guys probably didn't drop it or bang it.

Did you have water in the tank when they moved it? Could they have tipped it and gotten water inside the machine?

I hope you can figure out what happened.

~ Rose

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    They switched your coffee...
    That must be it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Is this the same machine that you posted about back in 2015?
    No, this is actually another machine, my third EC155! I gave up on that other machine. I had bought that one as a used "display model," and I saved about $20 off the purchase price. But I figured, they probably never cleaned it or whatever. So I gave up on it and then switched to Aeropress for a while (which I loved!). But then got tired of all the work involved with Aeropress and bought another EC155. So this one's about a year or two old, and haven't had any problems with it at all. Until now.

If you are not seeing any visible dents in the machine or parts, the guys probably didn't drop it or bang it.
    I don't know. There are a lot of sensitive parts inside. They could have dropped it on the counter a few inches and banged something up on the inside, without there being any visible marks on the outside. My opinion, anyway.

Did you have water in the tank when they moved it? Could they have tipped it and gotten water inside the machine?
    There was water in the tank, but it was low. I don't think they would have tipped any water into the machine.

I hope you can figure out what happened.
    Me too!

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    That must be it!!!!

Since you had a leak in your kitchen area, did you notice any additional dampness and humidity in your kitchen?

Was you coffee supply safely stored? Could it have been compromised by the humidity in the room? Humidity and room temperature make a difference in espresso preparation.

Have you tried using new coffee beans?

Good point about the humidity. But, yeah, the coffee was safely stored in air-tight containers. The like was just something that came up from the floor, so I don't think it affected the humidity that much. And, yes, beans are the same. No change.

I did run a bunch of water through it, and it's starting to taste better, though still not back to where it was. So I think I'll try that some more and see what happens.

Thanks for the input, anyway.

Super Moderator
    Good point about the humidity. But, yeah, the coffee was safely stored in air-tight containers. The like was just something that came up from the floor, so I don't think it affected the humidity that much. And, yes, beans are the same. No change.

I did run a bunch of water through it, and it's starting to taste better, though still not back to where it was. So I think I'll try that some more and see what happens.

Thanks for the input, anyway.
    Did the water leak in the floor area cause any noticeable mold in the floor or under any cabinets or appliances ?

How do other things taste to you? Are you noticing a difference in taste when you eat or drink other food items? If you have irritated nasal passages or a small nasal infection, that can cause a problem with how things taste.

Just a thought.

Please let us know how things are going. I hope you will be back to enjoying your coffee again soon.

~ Rose

No, this is actually another machine, my third EC155! I gave up on that other machine. I had bought that one as a used "display model," and I saved about $20 off the purchase price. But I figured, they probably never cleaned it or whatever. So I gave up on it and then switched to Aeropress for a while (which I loved!). But then got tired of all the work involved with Aeropress and bought another EC155. So this one's about a year or two old, and haven't had any problems with it at all. Until now.

I don't know. There are a lot of sensitive parts inside. They could have dropped it on the counter a few inches and banged something up on the inside, without there being any visible marks on the outside. My opinion, anyway.

There was water in the tank, but it was low. I don't think they would have tipped any water into the machine.

Me too!

Thanks!
    It's awesome that you have found a machine that simply works for you, but you being on your 3rd one kinda hints toward lousy build quality/reliability. When the 3rd one bites the bullet (or bean) maybe step up a bit for better espresso and drastically improved reliability. A Gaggia Classic or the Rancilio Silvia (which I have) will likely survive a typical hurricane/tornado and still function like it should.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    It's awesome that you have found a machine that simply works for you, but you being on your 3rd one kinda hints toward lousy build quality/reliability. When the 3rd one bites the bullet (or bean) maybe step up a bit for better espresso and drastically improved reliability. A Gaggia Classic or the Rancilio Silvia (which I have) will likely survive a typical hurricane/tornado and still function like it should.

That's funny . . . I was thinking the same thing. I don't know what the life span is for a Delongi EC155, but it seemed very strange that the same day the machine was moved, it started misbehaving.

It may be working its way towards biting the dust.

Being on the lookout for a replacement is a good idea. It pays to be prepared.

~ Rose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links