What is the best tasting single serve coffee machine (using your own ground coffee)

anonemis

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
I own a Keurig 2.0 single serve machine. I use my own ground coffee but the taste is "watered down". The coffee doesnt appear to be as hot as other machines. What is your favorite single serve? I heard alot about ninja machines.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Someone gave me a small coffee maker as a gift a few years ago. I wasn't too thrilled, but it was a gift so I put it away in case I ever needed it.

My main coffee maker broke, and I needed a quick substitute until I could get another one. So, I pulled out the little coffee maker.

I took it out of the box, and I "conditioned" the coffeemaker by brewing a few cups of coffee, and throwing each of them out before I actually brewed a cup to drink.

I was surprised at how nice the coffee came out of it. It was hot and surprisingly nice. I didn't use the travel mug. I just brewed a cup of coffee into a regular mug.

I have friends who have a Keurig machine, and the coffee was never as hot as the coffee that comes from this little machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker...=gateway&sprefix=single+serve,aps,130&sr=8-23

There are all sorts of single cup brewers on Amazon. I'm sure you'll find something that you like that's better than the Keurig.

~ Rose

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I use a bonavita full immersion dripper.
While it brews a single cup of coffee in a similar way to a french press, the cleanup is very easy.
I have been using it for about 7 years now.
It is extremely simple and fairly cheap ($27 amazon).
https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Wide-Porcelain-Immersion-Dripper/dp/B00MFJX7P4/

Do you grind your coffee beans as you would for a drip grind coffee maker, or do you grind it different for this brewing method? (coarser or finer)

anonemis

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
do they have one that has hot water ready and fills it already like a single serve but pour over electric that you recommend.

Do you grind your coffee beans as you would for a drip grind coffee maker, or do you grind it different for this brewing method? (coarser or finer)
I grind according to my filter.
Using a reusable (swiss gold) filter, I grind fairly coarse and still have mud in the bottom of my cup - and yet also those wonderful oils on the surface of my drink.
Using a paper filter (which I don't), I would grind fairly fine, like a drip machine. Then I have no mud in my cup and also no oils.