Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dude, you're fighting a losing argument so do me a favor and go play with that overpriced disposable toy 'espresso' machine and stop wasting my time.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

WhyCoffee... super autos fall down in two different areas - grind adjustment and milk frothing. First, most super auto machines simply do not have the ability to adjust grind size like a high-end grinder such as an EK or similar quality. Most high-end manual grinders are stepless and offer an unlimited ability to set the grind larger/smaller. Most super auto's have stepped grinder adjustment so there is a finite level of adjustment available. Obviously grind size affects not only the flow of the shot but has a significant impact on taste. Secondly, most of the super autos base milk frothing off of temperature - it has no ability to sense the 'quality' of the microfoam of the milk. A properly steamed milk will add a touch of sweetness and improve the mouthfeel/texture of the milk - this is something a super auto simply can't do. Super autos have a place in the market - they are the k-cup of the world for espresso. However, a trained barista on quality equipment will outperform any super auto machine.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    So it's human error: humans programmed them to work that way, nothing to do with machines! Again, there is no blind test data to support "a trained barista on quality equipment will outperform any super auto machine" because 99.9% of the people in the world can't tell the difference with the rest trained barista, well, they have to enjoy their own work, don't they?
    Clearly you enjoy 'arguing' vs. learning... its not human programming its limitation of the machine. And the fact that 99.9% of the people can't tell teh difference doesn't provide facts that its better/worse. Good luck with your super auto..
    Last edited by Musicphan; 09-03-2019 at 10:59 AM.

If you felt any "fighting" instead of "learning", you probably already know you simply can't find any data to support your claim. Or even worse, all the data is actually against your claim. Here is an example:
    Baristas are going obsolete as espresso machines move into fancy restaurants and crush humans in a taste test: https://www.businessinsider.com/bari...bsolete-2015-6
    Joy in the task: https://aeon.co/essays/is-nothing-sa...artisan-coffee

Baristas is not even as good as capsules? Damn!
    Your last comment is showing your ignorance of the preparation of good coffee...

Ignorance is to make tons of claims without any proof/test data.
    Agree....so where is your proof

A click away (if you know how)...
    I have better things to do than prove common sense to someone that doesn't listen or have a desire to educate themselves. Again - good luck with your auto

Back to the OP ... if you give us an idea of budget and drinks you will be preparing we can give you advice.

If anybody truly thinks Nespresso can top a decent machine/grinder then that surely shows their lack of taste for good espresso. I'd say Nespresso devices are more of a joke than super autos. Not to mention stupid expensive for a small amount of liquid crap in a cup. Funny the articles go on and on about espresso in restaurants, when I've yet to taste good espresso in ANY restaurant over the years. Most restaurant grade coffee is barely drinkable at best. Too bad you're far from driving range of me or I'd show you what real espresso can be and you'd be dropping that toy off at Goodwill in search of something cheaper and MUCH better!

To the OP... pretty much any decent semi-auto/grinder will serve you well. You don't need lame bells/whistles such as volumetric dosing, timers, etc. By all means, definitely avoid the overpriced plastic toy super autos debated lately as that will lead to serious buyer's remorse and bitter disappointment.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Who cares what Italians do? They may have invented espresso, but it took Americans to jump onboard to perfect it.

Not according to Italians...

If you make a list of the commercial machines people talk about on this forum, you will end up with these brands:

The La Pavoni PUB 1V-R -1 Group...
    The la Pavoni BAR-STAR 2V-R - 2-Group...
    Pasquini Livia 90...
    Nuova Simonelli Aurelia Ii Semi 2 Group...
    European Gift Bar 3L-R La Pavoni Bar 3L-R, 3 Group...
    La Pavoni Bar 2L-B Lever...

I wonder why none of these sounds like Americans to me.
    Any one of those machines would make superior espresso over a Super Auto Unfortunately, Italians generally use a mixture of subpar Robusta still in their espressos resulting in a subpar/average espresso.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links