Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Aroma was my experience with coffee, the smell of the bean vs how it actually taste after making, can be all over the place! I had great smelling bean, medium roast looked good, tasted like GRASS! Ugh!
    So I was trying to say, from personal experience, smelling bean to determine final taste is no good, Cupping is the only sure fire way to know what your getting, and finding a local roaster of cafe who will sell you slight amounts of bean for cupping or does cuppings in their shop are essential to have.

After each batch I roast I crack a few open to look at/smell what took place during the roast process. Underdeveloped (usually roasted too fast or too hot initially) can look/smell great until it's ground then you end up with highly acidic grass/citrus notes that overpower all else. I'm not a fan of cupping for three reasons... one, it's a waste of coffee which to me is a precious commodity. Two, most cupping (on a commercial level that is) is done when the coffee is rather fresh and usually too fresh for espresso so that initial taste/aroma can be misleading. Of course some roasters can taste something super fresh and somewhat predict how it will age and go from there. Three, cupping may be a good indication of how coffees will end up for most brew methods, but with the pressure involved with espresso I don't see much relation as that pressure will squeeze out/magnify every bit of flavor (good or bad) and something as simple as cupping isn't extracting very much.
    Last edited by shadow745; 09-11-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    Don't agree as this world was built primarily hands-on. The lazy asses can do all the button pushing they want, but without serious labor nothing will ever get accomplished.
    There goes the whole idea of Industrialization (to reduce labor work and cost)...

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    There goes the whole idea of Industrialization (to reduce labor work and cost)...
    Opinions surely vary... do me a favor and go push a button on that overpriced mediocre contraption some buffoons would call an espresso machine and drink the pathetic sludge from it... and be happy. I've got actual hands-on work ahead of me.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Well, when a customer pays you, they consider they just pushed a button on you... If they feel they can get more for less, they are all yours. This is just simple economy.

Super Moderator
    Wow!

This thread went off in a whole different direction.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original poster becomes reluctant to jump back into it.

He (or she) was just asking for recommendations for a good espresso machine.

Here are some possibilities:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-e...ines-for-2019/
    Last edited by PinkRose; 09-11-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links