Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BIC

Popcorn popper air coffee roasting basic by Sweet Maria - Educational

Anyone who is interested in coffee roasting at home, as a beginner, this video is pretty good for educational purpose and teach you quite a bit about general popcorn popper air roasting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMMdOad60v0

by the way, does this air popper come bit close to Behmor roasting? roasted bean quality wise..
    or is there a huge difference?

Air poppers do OK... its a one-speed / one heat method so your abilities are pretty limited. It's also a bit messy... could you get a good roast out of an air pop - yes. However, the behmor has so many advantages - clean / greater capacity / more control... if you're going to be a hobbist roaster skip it and go Behmor

Air popper is a useful beginning step for the curious. I agree with Musicphan though, that for a more serious interest, something more is needed. Michael Sivetz was a big proponent of the heat gun, especially for sample roasting, with a high wattage heating element, and adjustable control...of course a adjustable autotransformer could also be used to control airflow and heat if one wanted to trick out the heat gun approach. And, of course, there are a lot of home roasters, like myself, who have built a roaster using a countertop convection cooker with a base to a Stir Crazy popcorn popper. But, one has to dip one's toe in the water to know that the roasting end of coffee is of interest, otherwise, one would do just as well in the coffee world, investing in espresso equipment, grinders and various brewing devices.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    If you wonder how could they sell it so cheap ($20), cheaper than when they sell it as real popcorn poppers, I think these are overstocks they got from somewhere for free because nobody use it to pop corns anymore. They are replaced by microwaves.
    What??? Air poppers are still readily available - check out Amazon.

BIC
    Probably works as good as a hairdryer/heat gun.
    Heat gun, yes, I have seen roasting with it.
    Hairdryer? that is new....

BIC
    Well, Americans are too lazy to make even microwave popcorns now:Market Trends

The reason only RTE (ready-to-eat) popcorn sales is growing and the rest is dying.

It's good to know the trend of a business (before you get into it).
    I guess I am one of the few dying breeds.. who still use air popcorn popper to pop popcorns. (wow... a lot of "p"s ha ha )
    it certainly tastes better than microwave or RTE.

BIC
    That's actually the first thing pop out when I tried to Google home roasting coffee ideas years ago...
    And I bought a SR500 instead, but it's pretty much the same idea.
    have you tried it with hairdryer to roast?
    I brought some super expensive Gesha green beans from our company in Guatemala, but using my wife's hairdryer to roasting it? ha ha.
    that sounds not only weird but for some reason, un-sanitary.
    but I still have some regular greens beans from last harvest. I can certainly try out on that one.
    just have to wait until my wife goes out......

that would be fun

BIC
    I am even more old-fashioned. This is what I use at home:Attachment 10173
    It's probably older than table top kind. But I am the only one using it, rest of the family prefer microwave...
    seriously. that is what you have at home? wow. awesome.
    can you take a real photo and share with us? that is interesting because in Quetzaltenango, guatemala where I work, at central park, that is the exact thing I see from popcorn venders. but i am sure that is bigger than yours.
    thanks

I seriously doubt any hair dryer ever made would stand up to the rigors of coffee roasting as they are just built too cheap/weak to handle the constant heat/current passed through them. I use a commercial heat gun on my setup and it's far beyond what any popcorn popper can do as I tried 2 different types before building my current setup. Poppers are decent for those starting out, but in their stock form the batch size is limited and most roast too fast which doesn't give much time to develop deep flavor/texture in the coffee. Of course some modify them to control the fan/heat, but to me it's like putting lipstick on a pig... I had considered a Behmor or GeneCafe, but after reading of issues with parts failure, the failsafes built into them, etc. I built my heat gun/sifter setup and have it seriously dialed in. Also built it in a modular design so any single part can be replaced quickly/cheaply, but it has been going for close to 3.5 years now and well over 600 batches...
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Well, Americans are too lazy to make even microwave popcorns now:Market Trends

The reason only RTE (ready-to-eat) popcorn sales is growing and the rest is dying.

It's good to know the trend of a business (before you get into it).
    No worse than the lazy Europeans that rely on super autos for something not even close to real espresso...
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links