Information Please: ECM Casa V ???

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
ECM makes quality equipment... based on what bit I've read on the Casa V is it quite similar to the Silvia, but has a more polished look, has a more convenient OPV adjustment and it offers a brew pressure gauge. Being $1,000 is a bit much for a single boiler machine, but really depends on what you expect to do with it. Also, keep in mind that a capable grinder will be needed.

GoldieLox

Shadow745, thanks for the response. Whole Latte Love did a review, in fact, on those two machines. They gave the nod to the Casa V, and for the little difference in cost, that made sense to me. Just wondering why there is so little available on the machine, except for with a few manufacturers.

Grinders, don't get me started. Yes, I understand that will be a significant factor in my espresso.

Love the looks of the Appartmento, but not quite committed to another $500, especially since I don't have a quality grinder yet.

Any other opinions for a machine in roughly the $1000 price range?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Out of those two machines, I don't see that you're going to see a lot of difference. Both are going to have great capability to dial in a great espresso but be limited on steam capacity since its a single boiler machine. Between the two I would opt the Silvia route and put the $250 or so savings into the grinder quality. I personally ran a Mazzer Mini / Silvia combo for 10-12 years.. a few years ago I upgraded the Apartmento and I wish I had done it years before. However, I do like to make steamed milk drinks. My Gen1 Silvia just never could do a great job on steaming. I'm glad I put a bit more money into the grinder - it still does a great job.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Out of those two machines, I don't see that you're going to see a lot of difference. Both are going to have great capability to dial in a great espresso but be limited on steam capacity since its a single boiler machine. Between the two I would opt the Silvia route and put the $250 or so savings into the grinder quality. I personally ran a Mazzer Mini / Silvia combo for 10-12 years.. a few years ago I upgraded the Apartmento and I wish I had done it years before. However, I do like to make steamed milk drinks. My Gen1 Silvia just never could do a great job on steaming. I'm glad I put a bit more money into the grinder - it still does a great job.

Well yeah I'd push for the Silvia since I have one and it's been fantastic since day 1. It can be a bit temperamental regarding finding the sweet spot temp wise, but once you do it's quite easy to maintain with time/temp surfing. Some don't like the 'less polished' look of the Silvia, but I certainly do. Mine is a V1 from 2006 and has the hand crafted rough edges, holes that aren't perfectly aligned, etc. For quality espresso it's on par with anything I've ever used home/commercial and for steaming 1 drink, maybe 2 I find it to be fine as I do steam for a family member often. If somebody plans to do lots of steaming, then yes a good HX machine will fill that need.

GoldieLox

I've been drooling over the Appartmento!! Looking to see how some of the packages with grinders are looking on that one. Also one of the Expobar Office. Good thing I'm not in a rush!