Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    For manual grinders, yes. But electrical grinders need high speed ones, which I haven't seen any from China (yet).
    Actually depends... conicals can operate at virtually any RPM from hand crank on up to hundreds of RPM as the coffee is basically gravity fed and drops straight down. Flat burrs need higher RPM as the ground coffee is thrown from the burr(s) edge and lower RPM would just lead to clogging in the chamber.

Also, ceramics have their place, but don't have the super tight tolerances like a good set of machined steel burrs have, flat or conical. Doesn't matter to me that Jura or others use them as those things are far from cutting edge capable.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    Try a ceramic knife and see if the tolerance is tight enough to cut through your fingers. Also try to chop a rib with it to see if it will break to understand why speed matters with anything ceramic.
    Attachment 10235
    I've tried quality ceramic knives and far from impressed. Same with grinder burrs...
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Seriously?!? The formation of ceramic burrs will NEVER match the razor cutting edges of a machined steel burr. Ceramics are also quite weak/brittle if rocks or other debris ends up in coffee.

Ceramic has a rightful place... just not when it comes to precisely cutting/shaving.

Regarding your last reply, I guess the same could be said for you with the espresso side of things. If you had legit/awesome espresso from an actual quality machine/grinder you'd likely kick those plastic super-auto toys to the curb.

BIC
    I ditto with Shadow. there is no way Ceramic can compete with machined steel burr.
    as for ceramic knife, same. it does not last / sharp as long as real nice/sharp stainless steel knife.

Ceramics are dirt cheap to make compared to quality steel. There's a reason there are no 'high end' ceramic burrs in coffee as they just don't compare to machined steel. Likely among the best ceramics are those Baratza uses in their Forte/Vario line and those things are quite cheap. I'd imagine any ceramics (conical or flat) used in the crazy expensive super autos you like so much are no better than what's in the typical $50 hand grinders you see on Amazon, eBay, etc. all day long.

Ceramics are like plastic in that those materials certainly have their usefulness in our daily lives, but there are other materials that are simply much better for particular uses.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    I have also heard the new line of Oxo grinders aren't bad for the money but I have no experience with them.
    hey musicphan.
    i found this Oxo grinder review from youtube. seattle coffee gear (I like her. she is very professional and seems honest on her reviews).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_4jbXTMY8o

I've seen that... I actually stumbled across that in the past. Also, take a look at Capresso Infinity

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    I think it's hard to beat the Baratza line for the best bang for the buck. I originally purchase the Baratza Virtuoso (out of your budget - $230) for home use. But it now resides in my mobile pour-over setup... it continues to be a workhorse. Super impressed with the quality. Although it's not stepless I cand find a grind that suits my needs (obviously not great for espresso being stepped).
    hi musicphan again.
    a good comparison between Baratza encore vs Oxo barista brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj9dn3ybES0

Oxo has a lot of different features, but I think that I prefer Baratza encore which is much simpler and right to the point. Also Gail mentioned that Baratza has more consistent grinds. even though Baratza Encore is about $40 more expensive than Oxo brew (the basic kind, not this oxo barista brain at $214), I feel that Baratza will last longer and specially has better and more precious burr grinder.

by the way, Gail mentioned that they both are not really suit for the real espresso grind. (need to spend more money for much better burr grinder.. I guess)

thanks mike for your suggestions.

PS: the Baratza Virtuoso that you have purchased, is this pretty good for real espresso grind?

BIC
    Mike/musicphan,
    one more question for you because it seems like you have way more experience on this field than me. ha ha

when I make espresso at home (just using flair manual machine), i do not use my previous burr grinder because it does not give the really find grind.
    so, I have been using blade grinder. but it can really grind it extra fine.

my question is that when you use blade for extra fine and when you use burr for extra fine, and when you make espresso, can you tell the difference in the taste?
    I mean really.... for a regular person like me (as you know, I am only good at coffee origin side of business), would I be able to tell the difference in the taste between blade made espresso and burr made espresso?
    when they both can grind them extra fine? which you can not tell in naked eyes, nor by the feel of your finger tips?

thanks and please let me know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links