Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    You probably believe ceramic is from the dirt in your backyard...

Here is a comparison of the material costs:

Zirconium dioxide for ceramic burrs: $ 58.60 per kg;
    Steel for steel burrs: less than $1 per kg!

It's almost 60 times difference!
    Dude, seriously? Why are ceramic burrs dirt cheap then? Once you have actual experience to make fair comparisons then do so. I know what works best for my use based on tens of thousands of extractions and thousands of pounds of coffee ground.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    Mike/musicphan,
    one more question for you because it seems like you have way more experience on this field than me. ha ha

when I make espresso at home (just using flair manual machine), i do not use my previous burr grinder because it does not give the really find grind.
    so, I have been using blade grinder. but it can really grind it extra fine.

my question is that when you use blade for extra fine and when you use burr for extra fine, and when you make espresso, can you tell the difference in the taste?
    I mean really.... for a regular person like me (as you know, I am only good at coffee origin side of business), would I be able to tell the difference in the taste between blade made espresso and burr made espresso?
    when they both can grind them extra fine? which you can not tell in naked eyes, nor by the feel of your finger tips?

thanks and please let me know.
    Being fine enough is far from what really counts. Having consistent particle size and some fines to bond the puck together makes a lot of difference compared to the literal dust a blade chopper creates. A blade chopper is better than nothing, but not by much.

I can tell by feel and especially the tamp process how fine/consistent the grind is.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Because you only buy dirt cheap from China...
    That would be Jura Junk...

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    Being fine enough is far from what really counts. Having consistent particle size and some fines to bond the puck together makes a lot of difference compared to the literal dust a blade chopper creates. A blade chopper is better than nothing, but not by much.

I can tell by feel and especially the tamp process how fine/consistent the grind is.
    hi shadow. if so, for home use, which grinder do you recommend? please in reasonable price ranges....

I have never tried my Virtuoso with espresso... there is an article floating around the web showing the partical distribution vs. EK43.

Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    hi shadow. if so, for home use, which grinder do you recommend? please in reasonable price ranges....
    What grind range do you need? Espresso fine to drip/pourover medium fine? Budget?

Those are from Switzerland, a different country/continent, BTW...
    The only brand made in Switzerland that's actually awesome is Olympia. Had a Cremina manual lever for years, but something like the Jura is a mere joke in comparison.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    What grind range do you need? Espresso fine to drip/pourover medium fine? Budget?
    Yes. Espresso to medium coarse. Under $200? Is that possible?

If new it'd be tough to find something that will grind well and last for some time. For a handful of years I had a Rancilio Rocky and it's great from Turkish fine to press coarse. Of course built to last indefinitely... Might could find something like that used in your are for a much less than new price.

BIC
    Because you only buy dirt cheap from China...
    There are these two guys sitting together in a bar in the remote Alaskan wilderness. One of the guys is religious, the other is an atheist, and the two are arguing about the existence of God.
    The atheist says: “Look, it’s not like I don’t have actual reasons for not believing in God. It’s not like I haven’t ever experimented with the whole God and prayer thing. Just last month I got caught away from the camp in that terrible blizzard, and I was totally lost and I couldn’t see a thing, and it was 50 below, and so I tried it: I fell to my knees in the snow and cried out ‘Oh, God, if there is a God, I’m lost in this blizzard, and I’m gonna die if you don’t help me.’”
    After the atheist said this, the religious guy looks at the atheist all puzzled. “Well then you must believe now. After all, here you are, alive.”
    The atheist just rolls his eyes. “No, man, all that was was a couple Eskimos happened to come wandering by and showed me the way back to camp.”
    ================================================== ====
    The exact same experience can mean two totally different things to two different people, given those people’s two different belief templates and two different ways of constructing meaning from experience.

We prize tolerance and diversity of belief. We want to claim that one guy’s interpretation is true and the other guy’s is false. But we also never end up talking about just where these individual templates and beliefs come from.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links