Help please: Hario V60 electric grinder for moka stovetop

cantinflass

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
We use a Bialetti Moka coffee maker and grind with (don't kill me) a cheap Krups blade grinder. I want to buy my wife a burr grinder for a birthday present. I like the look of the Hario electric. Obviously it would be an upgrade over what we have, but will it work well for stovetop espresso? Am I better off getting the Baratza Encore? Any advice would be much appreciated! I'm looking to spend $150 - $200.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Consistency if grind size is key with any brewing method. So, the more you spend on a grinder the better (up to a certain range obviously...). IMO Baratza has the best value... I run a Virtuoso and think its great.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Consistency if grind size is key with any brewing method. So, the more you spend on a grinder the better (up to a certain range obviously...). IMO Baratza has the best value... I run a Virtuoso and think its great.
I have the Virtuoso 585 which is before the new gear and burr update how ever I did have to replace the gear but still have the old burr. I see they have new one out with a digital timer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QMY8GLX/ref=dp_cerb_3

Best thing about these is if something breaks they have parts for them.

Torrance

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
We use a Bialetti Moka coffee maker and grind with (don't kill me) a cheap Krups blade grinder. I want to buy my wife a burr grinder for a birthday present. I like the look of the Hario electric. Obviously it would be an upgrade over what we have, but will it work well for stovetop espresso? Am I better off getting the Baratza Encore? Any advice would be much appreciated! I'm looking to spend $150 - $200.
I honestly don't see how the price of a grinder can influence anything! I mean, a cheap model brakes easily, that's all! Can anyone try to reassure me?

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
If you are using one of those Krups blade grinders, almost anything would be an improvement. A Moka Pot uses a fine grind similar in size to espresso. And in order to get a consistent grind of that size, you need to spend some coin. Duffjr mentioned the Baratza Virtuoso. I happen to have one as well but I don't use it for espresso. I only use it for french press. I agree that while Baratzas aren't necessarily the best, they are very serviceable. My motor went on my Virtuoso recently. I emailed Baratza and had an email response within a half hour. I ran some diagnostics based upon the technicians recommendations. Once he determined it was the motor he said he'd send me the motor if I thought I could install it myself. He included a video in his email. After watching the email I thought I could handle it. Within two days I had a new motor. I successfully installed it myself and I'm back up and running. For the OP, really any burr grinder would do a much better job than the Krups blade grinder. And for Torrance, I have found that the best performing grinders end up being more expensive. I can't say this by my own experience but I've read so much literature, posts and blogs about people's experience with different grinders that it is pretty clear that when it comes to coffee grinders, the more you spend, the better the grinder, generally speaking. I doubt you'd find many posts on this site that go in depth into lots of different high end grinders but there are other coffee forums that do. This hobby of ours requires research. The more you read, the more informed you become. Just my two cents.