I see many coffeehouses are going with superauto machines.

doubleR

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Presumably to speed up the espresso production line. In my area, I noticed a local Starbucks and the espresso bar at Borders Books have replaced their conventional espresso machines with superautos.

The result is "espresso" that's more like dark drip coffee than true espresso. Another result is a lost customer.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
some superauto's rock

Not all superauto's are bad. The worst part about the good one's is the expense. I've considered one for our mobile unit because they can eliminate lots of cleaning and water needs.

I honestly believe that at least 2 expensive super auto's can produce a mocha, latte or capp that would rival any existing semi using the same espresso bean...

doubleR

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Re: some superauto's rock

celement said:
I honestly believe that at least 2 expensive super auto's can produce a mocha, latte or capp that would rival any existing semi using the same espresso bean...

You're probably right about the above; however 95% of the time I order straight espresso shots, so the difference is more notable.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
That would explain it

I think now I understand...there are ony two regular customers at my establishment that take and enjoy straight shots...and an occassional passer by.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
In my humble opinion super automatics have their place, just not in a drive thru. I won't mention any manufacturers, but we've had the experience with a few customers that thought they wanted them, only to find that they are very difficult for the average barista or operator to program or clean properly. Senors have a way of confuzing the untrained operator. Plus they are pretty expensive to work on from the technical side. A couple of customers found this out and went back to the traditionals. I have to say I agree with them. Also keep in mind places like Starbucks can justify the cost of these machines vs additional training and employee costs...

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I will say this, I do agree that some Super Auto's are just plain troublesome. I have never had any luck with Cimbali's M5x line. Seems like everything either works or it doesn't.

Now with the M2 it's a whole new game. As for ease of use it really can't get any easier. The only cleaning a person has to do is drop a cleaning tab in, other then wiping off the steam arm. Other then that I haven't had any problems with it. It also makes pretty darn good espresso, and I haven't seen anyone froth milk better then it can!

The main reason to have a fully automatic is that you anticipate high labor turnover. Dunkin Donuts uses automatics, but then they are in the dough and hot brown beverage business, not the espresso business.

Starbucks, especially some of the licensed operations like those in airports use automatics because of labor issues. Up until now I had thought that they still used semi-automatics in their company owned stores. That is part of what they are selling, even if they think they can get someone up to speed in a day of training.

Apparently, their labor issues are moving technology as a replacement for training. Economically it might make sense, but only in the short term.

Product quality is the mermaid's achilles heel. And I thought mermaids didn't have heels.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
No actually Starbucks is dumping their machines and moving to super autos because they are less expensive to run, they are becoming cheaper to buy, and the number one reason is because the overall quality has really improved. Its improved enough that it can take on a traditional machine. You are also right, they no longer have that expensive overhead of training new employees to run a traditional machine.

The economics are why farmers use milking machines instead of doing it by hand. Apropos Starbucks sells more milk by volume than coffee. Now all Starbucks needs to do is put a milking machine on people's wallets as they come in the door. Much more efficient.

Actually, they are bypassing the wallet with the Starbucks Card. Next thing you know, they will be offering payroll deduction for the convenience of consumers to load the Starbucks cards.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
CCafe said:
No actually Starbucks is dumping their machines and moving to super autos because they are less expensive to run, they are becoming cheaper to buy, and the number one reason is because the overall quality has really improved. Its improved enough that it can take on a traditional machine. You are also right, they no longer have that expensive overhead of training new employees to run a traditional machine.

I was going to say I've seen three new starbucks in the last 9 months near my location and they all have super auto's...big one's :twisted: :oops:

Starbucks becomes McBucks. No art, no individualization, just a machine with a human face or at least tattoos and piercings.

Would you like to grande-ize that?
650 calories for a breve Mint Chocolate Chip Frappuccino® Blended Crème - whip
690 calories for a breve Pumpkin Spice Crème - no whip
690 calories for a breve Toffee Nut Crème - whip
700 calories calories for a breve hot chocolate
790 calories calories for a breve Pumpkin Spice Crème - whip.
And the drink to rival a Big Mac, 840 calories for a breve White Hot Chocolate - whip

It really puts Starbucks in the grande-waistband category. I'm sure they are getting kickbacks from Lane Bryant and at least half of Big and Tall.

doubleR

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
I was going to say I've seen three new starbucks in the last 9 months near my location and they all have super auto's...big one's :twisted: :oops:

What got me started on this thread is last week I walked into the same Starbucks by my house I've gone to for years. I ordered the usual, a single espresso. When I got it, I noticed that it seemed weaker than usual--more like a dark drip coffee then true espresso. Then I looked behind the counter, and noticed the old semi-auto machine was gone, replaced by a new super auto.