Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The problem I was referring to occured at several Border's bookstore/coffee bar locations that were using a large Culligan water softening system on their entire kitchen that was also feeding their espresso machine's rechargable tank style softener. Since the supply water was already devoid of calcium or magnesium ions and heavy with sodium ions, when they added salt to the machine's canister softener, the salt would not fully dissolve during the flushing procedure and would over time collect in the machine and form salt crystals. They weren't supposed to be plumbed that way, but some genius contractor decided to do it anyway (who'd ever know, right?). It was pretty expensive to clean those espresso machines, and I thought I might save someone a few bucks with a little real-life experience. Sorry if the real world disagrees with theory.

Ultra pure water can etch your boiler. Water is the universal solvent. Ultra pure water can kill any metal plumbing over time. Others have also mentioned the need for minerals for the sensors. The sensors operate on conductivity of the water, and water needs ionic impurities to be conductive, Sodium, Magnesium, Calcium, etc..

You also need some level of mineralization for proper extraction. For espresso, around 75ppm. You do balance the need for minerals with the buildup of scale in the boiler. It helps to flush the boiler once or twice daily, as the mineral content will increase throughout the day. Especially true for those of you with double boiler systems. The steam boiler is not naturally flushing with the extraction cycle.

Polishing filters to restore some cacium carbonate, but not really enough for the extraction. If you use RO, you can always remix clean filtered hard water back in to a diluted level, appropriate for your needs.

Other filtration systems are dumping other chemicals into your coffee - glycophosphates, and softeners are exchaging sodium for Calcium. Minerals are good for coffee, in the right proportions. Strip it down, then put back what you want. This is what Cirqua does, and some of the higher end Culligans and some custom systems.
    C8H10N4O2m, 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine - Yes, please!

Suggesting the best method for water treatment and purification

Hey!
    Based on my research and experience what I consider is Reverse Osmosis is best method and one thing you should keep in your mind is Quality, all does this maters a lot. Go for more information related to water softeners and Purification to chose the best way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links