Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    People who think they are very knowledgeable, and maybe they are, certainly have a wide range of opinions. Here's mine. I have owned a Rancilio Miss Silvia I modified with a PID for 11 years. I used a modified cheap, under a $100, Capressa Infinity grinder from which I removed the ball bearing, which limits it to 16 presets, making it a grinder with infinite settings. Together I get great shots and make delicious cappuccinos. I also own a $2,000 JURA E9 Fully Automatic which I used for "coffee flavored" drinks. Just like my seller from I bought both machines, the Jura does not come close to making real espresso. It does produce somewhat decent foam.

Definitely go with a semi so you understand how things work. There's no real room to grow/learn with a fully automatic. It's a bit more than you are willing to spend at the moment, but I recommend saving up and getting a Lelit Anna for $499. Trust me, an espresso machine that's $200 or so is going to be more trouble than its worth and you're going to have to replace it in a few years anyways. If you get a real machine, it could last you 10-15 years so you'll actually be saving money in the long-run. Remember the old adage - buy cheap, buy twice.

Hmm... sounds interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Kbklarry View Post
    People who think they are very knowledgeable, and maybe they are, certainly have a wide range of opinions. Here's mine. I have owned a Rancilio Miss Silvia I modified with a PID for 11 years. I used a modified cheap, under a $100, Capressa Infinity grinder from which I removed the ball bearing, which limits it to 16 presets, making it a grinder with infinite settings. Together I get great shots and make delicious cappuccinos. I also own a $2,000 JURA E9 Fully Automatic which I used for "coffee flavored" drinks. Just like my seller from I bought both machines, the Jura does not come close to making real espresso. It does produce somewhat decent foam.
    Thing is espresso is like anything else in that it's highly subjective and all that matters is that the enthusiast gets the expected end result. I've been at this for quite a few years and have used all sorts of machines for home/commercial as well as quite a few grinders. My 'end game' machine is a modified Silvia as to put it simply the build quality/simplicity is as good as anything made and it's highly capable of superb espresso once you dial things in. IF I needed to do lots of steaming I'd look more toward a HX/DB as the only real advantage to those is quicker recovery for that, but I'm not into using steam and have only done so for a family member in the past. For straight espresso, which for me is very intense ristrettos (low volume, very long extraction time), I have the Silvia really dialed in for that as well as a top notch hand grinder (electric beast as backup) and home roasts that I have really dialed in as well. People tend to go on and on about equipment, but once you reach a decent level things are pretty much maximized and the most important variable is the coffee you're using, followed by balanced water.

We all have varying experiences, expectations, budgets, etc. Just buy/use what you can and simply make the very best of it. Contrary to lame popular belief great espresso can be had at home for a decent cost. It doesn't take a small fortune to match or beat cafes, which I've personally found to be a joke over the years as well.

When my espresso machine died I bought an Aeropress, it makes an amazing cup of coffee everytime. It was pretty affordable. I can't say I am a real coffee/espresso connoisseur, but it works well. I also no longer have much interest in spending 2 or 3$ for a cup of crappy coffee from Starbucks, so I figure it paid for itself in about a year. I started reding coffee blogs like https://www.perfectbrew.com/blog/how...egular-coffee/ to make my coffee taste perfectly
    Last edited by Ronaldooo; 02-06-2021 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TangyWasabi View Post
    I could not disagree more, there’s no room to learn and improve on a super-auto.
    In order to gather a vast knowledge about a super automatic espresso machine you could read this article "The 15 Best Super Automatic Espresso Machine Review In 2021"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links