Help Please: I need a bottomless portafilter for a Breville 870

czcusco

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
I have a breville 870. Where could I get a bottomless portafilter without breaking the bank?

Need to know what size and type/brand to get.

Saw some ppl using a grinding saw and hacking it but not sure if I wanna do that.

Saw some on AliExpress but not sure if those would fit.

TangyWasabi

Mar 25, 2020
East Coast USA
Visit site
They won’t be cheap as no one produces 53mm bottomless portafilters. I ordered mine custom from a company located in Australia called “Pullmans Espresso Accessories”. They did a fantastic job. This is the most expensive way to go about it but your options aren’t plentiful. If you don’t want to go with this route you are stuck with buying a 53mm portafilter from Breville and drilling the bottom out yourself. Whatever you chose good luck!

czcusco

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Yea I searched around. The easiest would be to get a $11 Bi-metal hole saw and drill through my existing portafilter. Replacement one from Breville is $60 is worse case.

However at this point I’m already setting the grind to 1 and using a palm tamp, the water is still coming out fast. What gives?

TangyWasabi

Mar 25, 2020
East Coast USA
Visit site
I just got a video in my feed today about a new 54mm bottomless portafilter, it’s on Amazon and comes with a wooden handle, I can’t post the link until I’ve posted 5 times so I’ll link it in my next post.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I would recommend updosing to 20g before worrying about a new portafilter. Either your grind is not fine enough or for that coffee 18g is not enough. I bottomless is simply going to add one more variable that will make it potentially more difficult.

czcusco

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
I would recommend updosing to 20g before worrying about a new portafilter. Either your grind is not fine enough or for that coffee 18g is not enough. I bottomless is simply going to add one more variable that will make it potentially more difficult.

Thx... if I go 20, I take it yield should be 40g out right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TangyWasabi

Mar 25, 2020
East Coast USA
Visit site
Thx... if I go 20, I take it yield should be 40g out right?
You will most likely need a triple filter basket to dose 20g into a Barista Express and that’s another nightmare on its own, apparently IMS has a 53mm triple basket that can be retrofitted for use with the Barista Express but I haven’t tried it. If you want to start pulling better and better shots you’ll be investing in a grinder soon anyways, I believe a finer grind is what you’re after.