Question New guy needing help with pour over..!

Hello everyone.
    I recently decided to try a hario v60 as I really enjoy the fruity notes I can occasionally get with my TV and thought I might be able to dial it in a bit more. However I have tried a few different techniques, most recently Scott Rao tech, and grind settings to get a good cup. The coffee I am using is a freshly opened bag that was roasted less than a month ago. Filtered or bottled water. Anyway I've adjusted by grind size from 15-28 on the virtuoso and for the life of me can't get rid of that bitter taste. I feel like the grind size is getting really coarse at this point and most suggestions I've seen have been on the lower grind settings. You guys have any advice??

With pour overs itís important to note several factors in your extraction...

1.) Temp (198-204 degrees)
    2.) Time (2:00-2:30)
    3.) Ratio (8.5 grams per 5 oz. water approx and to taste)

All of the above parameters are adjustable to taste, but starting with filtered water and pre-warming your cup and Hario (if it is the ceramic kind) will go a long way to improving your results.

As an example I am currently pouring a great El Salvador Honey process light roasted to perfection. Hereís my process...

1.) Heat 12 ozs. of filtered water to 200 degrees

2.) Fill both cup and ceramic pour over with hot tap water

3.) As water comes to temp, empty cup and ceramic pour over..pat both dry with a towel

4.) place paper filter in the pour over and saturate just the paper with 2 oz. of heated water...empty excess water from the cup

5.) grind 17 grams of coffee and add to the pour over

6.) begin the pour over with saturation of the coffee bed and allow to bloom for :30-1:00

7.) after the bloom; slowly pour the remaining 8-9 ozs. of water slowly over the coffee bed

The brewing process from there takes about 1:30-2:00 to complete if your grind size is within proper range.

Too fast and you should grind finer.

Too slow and you should grind courser.

Once your timing is down, you can begin to play with some of the other parameters depending on your personal tastes.

+/- on the coffee ratio will determine strength of flavor.

Add brew time can add depth or complexity depending on the roast and bean origin, but can also drown out fruitier or floral notes

Less brew time can allow fruitier or floral notes to shine through but can also lead to a less complex flavor

Higher temperatures can deepen the more cocoa centric nature of a coffee, but can also add bitterness

Lower temps can expose more fruit forward flavors, but can also add sour notes.

The balancing act to make all these things work for you will become simpler with time, practice, and patience.

Enjoy the ride and the destination will be all the more rewarding.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone666 View Post
    With pour overs itís important to note several factors in your extraction...

1.) Temp (198-204 degrees)
    2.) Time (2:00-2:30)
    3.) Ratio (8.5 grams per 5 oz. water approx and to taste)

All of the above parameters are adjustable to taste, but starting with filtered water and pre-warming your cup and Hario (if it is the ceramic kind) will go a long way to improving your results.

As an example I am currently pouring a great El Salvador Honey process light roasted to perfection. Hereís my process...

1.) Heat 12 ozs. of filtered water to 200 degrees

2.) Fill both cup and ceramic pour over with hot tap water

3.) As water comes to temp, empty cup and ceramic pour over..pat both dry with a towel

4.) place paper filter in the pour over and saturate just the paper with 2 oz. of heated water...empty excess water from the cup

5.) grind 17 grams of coffee and add to the pour over

6.) begin the pour over with saturation of the coffee bed and allow to bloom for :30-1:00

7.) after the bloom; slowly pour the remaining 8-9 ozs. of water slowly over the coffee bed

The brewing process from there takes about 1:30-2:00 to complete if your grind size is within proper range.

Too fast and you should grind finer.

Too slow and you should grind courser.

Once your timing is down, you can begin to play with some of the other parameters depending on your personal tastes.

+/- on the coffee ratio will determine strength of flavor.

Add brew time can add depth or complexity depending on the roast and bean origin, but can also drown out fruitier or floral notes

Less brew time can allow fruitier or floral notes to shine through but can also lead to a less complex flavor

Higher temperatures can deepen the more cocoa centric nature of a coffee, but can also add bitterness

Lower temps can expose more fruit forward flavors, but can also add sour notes.

The balancing act to make all these things work for you will become simpler with time, practice, and patience.

Enjoy the ride and the destination will be all the more rewarding.

Hi Tbone666,

Thanks for posting such a thorough step-by-step guide to making a pour over.

It's very much appreciated.

~ Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Will1 View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I recently decided to try a hario v60 as I really enjoy the fruity notes I can occasionally get with my TV and thought I might be able to dial it in a bit more. However I have tried a few different techniques, most recently Scott Rao tech, and grind settings to get a good cup. The coffee I am using is a freshly opened bag that was roasted less than a month ago. Filtered or bottled water. Anyway I've adjusted by grind size from 15-28 on the virtuoso and for the life of me can't get rid of that bitter taste. I feel like the grind size is getting really coarse at this point and most suggestions I've seen have been on the lower grind settings. You guys have any advice??
    Hello Harry "New Guy", lol! From your post, I can tell you are referring to being new to the forums and not new to coffee. You may want to explore the water you're using.

For those with less experience in coffee than Harry, I am posting a couple of links that address the importance of TDS, alkalinity & pH, and sodium thresholds in the brewing process. Taste can be affected significantly if these factors are ignored.

Link to Ifinca article Coffee Science: What Is TDS and Why Should You Care

Link to Specialty Coffee Association of America's Water for Brewing Standards

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links