Is the MoccaMaster Worth the Price or is There a Solid Alternative?

Harry_Will1

Apr 20, 2020
Visit site
Asking you guys for recommendations once again for my colleague...!

" I make two pots of drip coffee per day along with several Aeropress cups. I have went through 3 Motif Essentials coffee makers. They make good drip pourover coffee but the quality is horrible on the electronics. I'm almost ready to spring for a Moccamaster. I just have a hard time with the price. We do have guests quite often so I do want a 10 cup with a stainless carafe. Is there a solid alternative to the Moccamaster or should I just buy one? "

Thanks in advance...!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I think the moccamaster is around $350. I had one before it was stolen and it was possibly the best brewer for the home I have ever owned. I didn't pay for it, my boss gave it to me. What am I using now? A cheap Clever dripper. Ran me under 30 bux on amazon and the flavor is amazing. More work than the Moccamaster but come on..$26?!
https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffe...keywords=clever+dripper&qid=1589300509&sr=8-3

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I think the moccamaster is around $350. I had one before it was stolen and it was possibly the best brewer for the home I have ever owned. I didn't pay for it, my boss gave it to me. What am I using now? A cheap Clever dripper. Ran me under 30 bux on amazon and the flavor is amazing. More work than the Moccamaster but come on..$26?!
https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffe...keywords=clever+dripper&qid=1589300509&sr=8-3

Good recommendation as well... ironically I recommend a Clever for 1-2 cups.. Bonavita for more ;)

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
I have had a few Bonavitas, they can be temperamental in that they require attention........specifically descaling/cleaning more often than a lazy guy like me likes to do. I have trashed two of them now. Was thinking of a Bunn BTX as I did not want to spring for a MoccaMaster.......that plus I have soooo many pourovers in the shop Bunn, Curtis (newtech) and Newco

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
I have the technivorm moccamaster; have had it for years. I consider it superior to all others. It is intelligently designed and needs no electronics to overcome inferior engineering. Furthermore it is not made in Communist China, a huge plus in my book.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have not personally tried this maker yet. I had an employee that swore by it. I will pick one up in the next month or so...has anyone tried the bodum bistro b?
https://www.bodum.com/us/en/11001-bistro

Really bad reviews on that Bodum Bistro B, Topher. I went to check it out and the concept is much more spot on that the actual experience. When it comes to morning brew, I am not necessarily looking for the best coffee experience...I just want to wake up and am likely to not even appreciate what I'm drinking enough to spend great money on the beans. BUT it does have to be good, so I do want something that makes a decent pot of coffee. My simple brewer has crapped out. It has one of those filter baskets with the spring closure so the pot can be removed before it's done dripping. So I would pull the pot out and let the filter basket fill up to pre infuse the grounds, and then let it run through. I'd do this twice, and it wasn't too bad. Now this coffee machine is toast so I spent yesterday researching and finally decided on a Cuisinart DCC-3200. My biggest concern is the size of the filter basket. It has a 14 cup coffee pot, but probably not a big enough metal filter basket to hold the correct ratio to my liking. I will let you know if I "effed up" or did good this time! FYI the bad reviews were mostly about the coffee maker clogging, I assume with calcium deposits and the reviewer just wasn't cleaning it thoroughly for the water hardness in their city, or about the amount of condensation on the cover that, when lifted to dump the spent grounds, dripped down the back of the coffee maker. I suppose this will be annoying, but I'm prepared now that I know. The fit for my countertop was another critical consideration....okay that's all for now!!

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
My @ss of a business partner was apparently bored and came into the roastery with a moccamaster........like we needed another pourover in the shop.
Gotta admit, it makes good coffee.....better than the Bonavita

Denrael

Sep 27, 2020
Visit site
Personal Choice

Asking you guys for recommendations once again for my colleague...!

" I make two pots of drip coffee per day along with several Aeropress cups. I have went through 3 Motif Essentials coffee makers. They make good drip pourover coffee but the quality is horrible on the electronics. I'm almost ready to spring for a Moccamaster. I just have a hard time with the price. We do have guests quite often so I do want a 10 cup with a stainless carafe. Is there a solid alternative to the Moccamaster or should I just buy one? "

Thanks in advance...!

I'm a new TV user, still getting things dialed in well. I was actually in a similar mode to you, though working at home now my coffee consumption has risen slightly. After getting rid of my last machine when it died, I stayed with the Aeropress for the last year. No complaints about the coffee, but more about the convenience when I'm at work. I still use the AP on weekends, but for during the week, I love the TV MM. What drove me to this machine over the Bonavista was the fact that everything is replaceable. I've had so many disposable appliances get thrown out after a year, I wanted something that I could easily disassemble for a complete cleaning and could repair easily. The TV MM hits those buttons.

Unlike many YouTube videos, I can't say my first pot in the TV was perfect. It was actually rather bad, but as I've been learning the personality of the machine I've been getting consistently excellent cups. I bought the KBT because I wanted the thermal and auto stop wasn't important to me. I have the manual setting on the basket, and have yet to get a successful pot on half flow, but on wide open I have it pretty much nailed.

Should you go with the TV? Only you can decide but those are the reasons I went with it and am very happy. Oh and the retro look rocks!