Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Obviously there are pro/con with glass... I personally have a Bodum glass FP I've had for years with no issues. But its not my primary brewing device. I use a plastic shatterproof camping and I also have the Planetary Design FP as an option. It's another option to consider...

https://planetarydesign.com/shop/tab...-coffee-maker/

I thought about buying a small (2-4 cup) electric percolator, but after doing a lot of reading, I now believe that a French Press would be my best option.
    That, and fresh beans to start with.

Happy that you decided to move away from K cups but curious as how you landed on the French Press? Did you look into pour overs or Aero Press?

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelPalmaCoffee View Post
    Happy that you decided to move away from K cups but curious as how you landed on the French Press? Did you look into pour overs or Aero Press?
    Sorry that it's been so long since I posted here, but I became distracted with more important issues.
    From what I have read, the pour over method produces a much lighter cup than does French press. Since it is strong coffee I want, I would think the French press is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthSouth View Post
    I am happy with my Secura.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cafetera-el%C.../dp/B00JE36GLQ

Double wall stainless press retains temperature well during brew process.
    Seems to be lasting - I've had it for over a year of daily use.
    Which model do you own? 17oz or 34oz?
    Since I will mostly be brewing only for myself, I would think the 17oz would be best, however, the cost is the same for the 17oz or 34oz on Amazon. Would there be a disadvantage to brewing a single (16oz) cup in the 34oz pot? My thinking is that using the 34oz pot to brew only 16oz will result in less density of the grounds, and a lower water pressure (the pressure the vertical column of water exerts on the grounds) which might produce a weaker cup of coffee. Is there any credence to this thinking, or am I overthinking this?

I don't think pressure is a factor in making french press coffee. I have an 8 cup Bodum that I use regardless of how much or little coffee I'm making. Most of the time I'm making two cups for myself. I'd get the bigger one which will allow you to make for just yourself or a group of coffee drinkers.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Thanks. I ordered the Secura 34oz stainless steel French Press from Amazon. Interesting that the 34oz was about 0.50 less expensive than the 17oz. Anyway, I have been reading a lot about how to make the 'perfect' cup, and there has been some disagreement. One site (and I think here) says to use course to medium grind, while another says to set the burr grinder on the coarsest grind.
    Another thing I hadn't thought of before is to weigh the beans, not the ground coffee. That way, there shouldn't be any variable as to how much coffee gets ground. I will run the grinder until there are no more beans in it.
    I have an inexpensive burr grinder, but at least it is a burr grinder...

In the end, I will have to experiment until I find the perfect cup of joe. I will make notes on my process as I develop it. I just have to remind myself that I'm only making a cup of coffee, not building a rocket to go to Mars!

I have the 34oz Secura French Press.

For one cup, I use a Bonavita Wide Base Immersion Dripper.
    I have been using it for 8 years now.
    Brews just like a French Press, but the cleanup is much easier.
    Not very good reviews on Amazon, but my experience has been excellent.
    I use my Secura French Press when I serve up to 4 cups.
    Above 4 people I use my commercial equipment, which does a considerably worse job than either of the above methods.

Unrelated: This morning I used my Bonavita with some expensive but delicious Yemen coffee and REALLY enjoyed it.

When using a French Press, I recommend not pressing the filter thru the coffee.
    Rest it above the liquid but below the pouring lip and merely use it as a filter.
    When you press the filter thru the coffee, it stirs it up and causes much more "mud" in your cup.
    As the Secura comes with two metal filters, I actually use them both together for even better filtration.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthSouth View Post
    When using a French Press, I recommend not pressing the filter thru the coffee.
    Rest it above the liquid but below the pouring lip and merely use it as a filter.
    When you press the filter thru the coffee, it stirs it up and causes much more "mud" in your cup.
    As the Secura comes with two metal filters, I actually use them both together for even better filtration.
    That's interesting. I thought the function of 'plunging' was to squeeze the last ounce of flavor from the grounds, and the filter would stop most of the grounds getting through. Otherwise, I would think to just leave the plunger out, and pour the coffee through a mesh filter into the your cop.
    But I suppose that with anything like this, YMMV. It will take some experimentation to come up with the flavor vs amount of grounds I finally settle with.

I recommend watching the "ultimate french press technique" by James Hoffman:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8

Actually, I recommend watching all his coffee videos, they are extremely informative.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links