Help Please: Speedster boiler flange leak

I'm having trouble removing a leaking flange on the Speedster. It is attached by three studs welded to the boiler. I have the 3 nuts and washers removed but the flange is stuck to the heat exchanger and won't budge. There is absolutely no space between the heat exchanger and the flange to insert a sharp ended screwdriver or other prying tool. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was told not to use a torch as it might damage other seals. You may notice the corrosion on the bottom right of the flange where it is leaking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Please: Speedster boiler flange leak-speedster-flange.jpg   Help Please: Speedster boiler flange leak-speedster-boiler-parts.jpg  
    Last edited by waxking1; 10-21-2020 at 02:00 PM.

In case anyone is interested, I emailed the manufacturer and received the answer. The whole heat exchanger has to be removed and 2 O rings replaced. I hope I don't have to take out too much to allow for the heat exchanger to clear the obstructions. the heat exchanger did break loose by tapping on a screwdriver against the boiler. I know the combivalve has to come out. Looks like I need a 20 or 21 mm wrench which I don't have. I have a set that stops at 19mm. Anyway the adventure continues. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by waxking1 View Post
    In case anyone is interested, I emailed the manufacturer and received the answer. The whole heat exchanger has to be removed and 2 O rings replaced. I hope I don't have to take out too much to allow for the heat exchanger to clear the obstructions. the heat exchanger did break loose by tapping on a screwdriver against the boiler. I know the combivalve has to come out. Looks like I need a 20 or 21 mm wrench which I don't have. I have a set that stops at 19mm. Anyway the adventure continues. Thanks.
    Thanks for the update. I hope the rest of your "adventure" goes smoothly and that you are able to fix the problem.

Thanks PinkRose. I bought a set of large metric wrenches and they worked perfectly. The cleaning job where the old O-rings and gaskets was actually the most difficult part of the operation. It had a fair amount of lime scale built up from the slow dripping. Machine is back together now and seems to be working well with no leaks.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by waxking1 View Post
    Thanks PinkRose. I bought a set of large metric wrenches and they worked perfectly. The cleaning job where the old O-rings and gaskets was actually the most difficult part of the operation. It had a fair amount of lime scale built up from the slow dripping. Machine is back together now and seems to be working well with no leaks.
    I'm glad everything worked out okay for you. I bet it feels good to solve the problem and see that there are no leaks. Nicely done!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links