Help Please: Speedster boiler flange leak

waxking1

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I'm having trouble removing a leaking flange on the Speedster. It is attached by three studs welded to the boiler. I have the 3 nuts and washers removed but the flange is stuck to the heat exchanger and won't budge. There is absolutely no space between the heat exchanger and the flange to insert a sharp ended screwdriver or other prying tool. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was told not to use a torch as it might damage other seals. You may notice the corrosion on the bottom right of the flange where it is leaking.

Attachments

• Speedster Flange.jpg
    Speedster Flange.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Speedster boiler parts.JPG
    Speedster boiler parts.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

waxking1

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
In case anyone is interested, I emailed the manufacturer and received the answer. The whole heat exchanger has to be removed and 2 O rings replaced. I hope I don't have to take out too much to allow for the heat exchanger to clear the obstructions. the heat exchanger did break loose by tapping on a screwdriver against the boiler. I know the combivalve has to come out. Looks like I need a 20 or 21 mm wrench which I don't have. I have a set that stops at 19mm. Anyway the adventure continues. Thanks.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
In case anyone is interested, I emailed the manufacturer and received the answer. The whole heat exchanger has to be removed and 2 O rings replaced. I hope I don't have to take out too much to allow for the heat exchanger to clear the obstructions. the heat exchanger did break loose by tapping on a screwdriver against the boiler. I know the combivalve has to come out. Looks like I need a 20 or 21 mm wrench which I don't have. I have a set that stops at 19mm. Anyway the adventure continues. Thanks.

Thanks for the update. I hope the rest of your "adventure" goes smoothly and that you are able to fix the problem.

waxking1

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Thanks PinkRose. I bought a set of large metric wrenches and they worked perfectly. The cleaning job where the old O-rings and gaskets was actually the most difficult part of the operation. It had a fair amount of lime scale built up from the slow dripping. Machine is back together now and seems to be working well with no leaks.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thanks PinkRose. I bought a set of large metric wrenches and they worked perfectly. The cleaning job where the old O-rings and gaskets was actually the most difficult part of the operation. It had a fair amount of lime scale built up from the slow dripping. Machine is back together now and seems to be working well with no leaks.

I'm glad everything worked out okay for you. I bet it feels good to solve the problem and see that there are no leaks. Nicely done!