Advice Please: Technivorm Moccamaster and reliable grinder.

ovfitbob

Jan 11, 2021
Tucson
Visit site
I'm a long time coffee drinker, but now that i'm retired, can spend time to research all that is coffee!

I want to replace my Bonavita 5 cup (stress cracks in the plastic water reservoir) with the Technivorm Moccamaster. Pricey, but seems to be a favorite of many. I'm not sure the model yet. Trying to decide between glass or thermal carafe.I tend to break things, so maybe the thermal carafe is better. I don't think there's a difference in flavor between the two?
I also want to buy a burr grinder. Is there a grinder that compliments the Technivorm brewing or any decent grinder will work? I'm willing to spend up to about $200. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all.:coffee1:

monumental_brew

May 11, 2022
Monument, CO
Visit site
I have the stainless carafe - don't want to deal with hot plate, glass or any of the risk that comes with that. I typically transfer from carafe to a yeti pretty quickly to take my daily coffee on the go.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Thermal carafe for the win! Love my Bonavita with thermal. You may want to see if they have a replacement carafe vs. buying a whole new machine. I doubt you will see much diff in brew quality - they are both excellent machines.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Am a big fan of the Technivorms, and agree strongly with recommendations for the thermal carafe. Whichever carafe you decide on, understand the difference between the two available brewing mechanisms. One is intended for brewing full batches only, but permits you to interrupt the drip to get a cup mid-cycle. The second, allows you to control the drip to an extent (Off, half, full), which I find most useful. When brewing, I always I retard the drip initially to allow the coffee to bloom. This makes quite a difference with really freshly roasted coffee. Also, being able to brew a good half batch is often very handy for me.