Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Since you can't afford the Encore I probably would recommend going with a hand grinder. Espresso can be sensitive to grind size and consistency (each machine is somewhat diff obviously) so a good grinder is key. Shadow is our resident hand grinder expert... hopefully he will pop in this thread.
    Good recommendation. As I have already said, I had not considered a manual grinder due to ignorance, but after Shadow's words and yours, now I do consider it. Thanks !!!

now I just have to find a good option that fits my budget.

doing a quick search on Amazon I found this: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01LXZACFB. do you have references?
    Last edited by mr.espresso; 02-20-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.espresso View Post
    Wow !!! Thank you very much for delighting us with that dose of wise words.

I had definitely not considered the option of a manual grinder. From my inexperience, I thought that they were older machines or with worse results than electric ones, but I see that I was wrong.

This makes me rethink whether a manual grinder is more suitable for me. I don't mind doing the work myself or taking longer time, so it may be the best option.

As for the price, unfortunately right now I do not have the budget to buy one of those high quality machines that you mention. Could you recommend a manual grinder for tighter budgets?

Thank you soooo much
    Depending on your area there could be used hand grinders at good prices. A quality hand grinder will last indefinitely and going that route is usually a safer bet than something like an electric grinder. I know the Timemore brand is mentioned often as being decent and a bit cheaper. Generally speaking it's difficult to find a really good grinder on the cheaper end of the spectrum unless it's used, somebody really wants to part with it, etc.

Regarding older hand grinders, my first one was a KyM and based on what I was told by the rather popular seller that once refurbished lots of hand grinders it's from the 1950s and still grinds quite well. Yes it's seen a TON of use and has some slop in the bearings as well as the burrs being a bit less than great, but it was a quality made piece and has held up and still performs. Now it is common to see constant listing for 'antique' coffee grinders that are like a dime a dozen with lousy construction, sloppy tolerances and just aren't suited for precise grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    Depending on your area there could be used hand grinders at good prices. A quality hand grinder will last indefinitely and going that route is usually a safer bet than something like an electric grinder. I know the Timemore brand is mentioned often as being decent and a bit cheaper. Generally speaking it's difficult to find a really good grinder on the cheaper end of the spectrum unless it's used, somebody really wants to part with it, etc.

Regarding older hand grinders, my first one was a KyM and based on what I was told by the rather popular seller that once refurbished lots of hand grinders it's from the 1950s and still grinds quite well. Yes it's seen a TON of use and has some slop in the bearings as well as the burrs being a bit less than great, but it was a quality made piece and has held up and still performs. Now it is common to see constant listing for 'antique' coffee grinders that are like a dime a dozen with lousy construction, sloppy tolerances and just aren't suited for precise grinding.
    I didn't know anything about the Timemore brand. I've been reading a bit online and I've seen that the best-selling model is the Timemore C2 with very good reviews. However, experts point out that the finest grind is not valid for espresso, so I'll keep looking.

This may be helpful to you - I think Prima does a pretty decent job at reviews:

https://prima-coffee.com/blog/a-comp...e-and-espresso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links