Barratza Virtuoso + doesn't discharge all of the grinds.

ovfitbob

Jan 11, 2021
Tucson
Visit site
I have a Barratza Virtuoso + grinder that works well, but after grinding,i clean the dischage chamber and about two tablespoons of grinds come out that didn't make it into the plastic container. Is this from the oils in the beans and maybe the grind setting? I usually set at 18 or 20 for my Bonavita auto brewer.
I do lightly tap the rubber gasket after grinding and some of the grinds fall into the container, but i'm still losing about two tablesoppons worth of coffee.
I also use the coffee cleaning tablets about once per month.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
You say you found the answer to your post. What was the answer? Some of us might be interested to know why your grinder was hoarding grinds. I'm interested because i have a Virtuoso. Thankfully mine does not hog the grinds.

ovfitbob

Jan 11, 2021
Tucson
Visit site
Sorry, I saw a lot of views but no responses so I decided to research it on my own.
I called Barratza and they said it’s a pretty common issue with just about any brand of grinder. She said it was just retention and it has a lot to do with the oils in the beans, the roast, and also the grind setting.
After the grinder turns off, I do a pulse for a few seconds and then lightly tap the top of the machine to loosen up more of the beans. My final step is to take a basting brush and clean the gasket and burrs. That allows for a little bit more of the ground coffee to fall into the bin.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Interesting. And a simple fix. I've never had that issue with mine. I single dose so once I've finished grinding all the beans I intend to for that brew, I gently "pat" the side of the machine to cause any grinds that may be up in the grinder to fall into the basket. And every so often I'll take that little brush that comes with the grinder and clean out the burrs from below where they ender the basket. This has worked for me for years. I have found the customer service at Baratza to be the best. They helped me when my motor began to die on me. They ended up sending me a new one. I watched their videos to get to a certain point and then a customer service rep took the time to take me step by step through the rest of it on the phone. Works great now.

ovfitbob

Jan 11, 2021
Tucson
Visit site
Interesting. And a simple fix. I've never had that issue with mine. I single dose so once I've finished grinding all the beans I intend to for that brew, I gently "pat" the side of the machine to cause any grinds that may be up in the grinder to fall into the basket. And every so often I'll take that little brush that comes with the grinder and clean out the burrs from below where they ender the basket. This has worked for me for years. I have found the customer service at Baratza to be the best. They helped me when my motor began to die on me. They ended up sending me a new one. I watched their videos to get to a certain point and then a customer service rep took the time to take me step by step through the rest of it on the phone. Works great now.

You do the same thing as I do, pat the side of the grinder and use the black brush. Even after I use the cleaning tablets,I still have some residual grounds left in the machine.
as long as the grinder operates, I’m happy!