Regarding La Cimbali M29...please help =)

tworks_johnnyp

Sep 19, 2005
houston, texas
Visit site
The other day we were cleaning our machine for basic maintenance and we had turned our espresso machine off, but when we had turned it back on the machine would not regulate the pressure properly. Every time I set the machine to the boiling setting the pressure goes into the red zone and pressure is released for the safety release valve. What are the symptoms here and what are the possible parts i need to replace? I was told the thermostat that regulates the pressure might be bad, or possibly the Microswitch? Please help, thanks.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
That is the first place to look. Open your machine up and look for the pressurestat. There is a little white micro switch with 2 wires connected to it. Look for a little tab on it that comes in contact with a metal arm part of the pressurestat. Press it in and see if the M29 stops heating, you should here a click, you might be able to hear if the water stops boiling, and the pressure gauge should stop rising.

If you are holding it in and the pressure continues to rise I would suspect that the relay has gone bad. I think the M29 has solid state relays if not it will be a little grey box with about 8 or so wires leading in and out of it. Other wise it is a little black box with a clear lid. The relay is located in the cpu box under the drain tray.

Depending how old the pressurestat is I would replace the whole thing. If you have hard water and the machine is over 2 years old, I would replace it.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
That maybe the case but there are plenty of aftermarket parts that don't work too such as, group O-ring gaskets, flow restrictors, steam valves, steam arms - not Inox, protafilters usually plated and flakes off, and a few of the electronics.

So just cause you can buy a knock off for half the price doesn't always meaning your getting a good deal. That goes for any machine!