Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I thin the key is to not allow boiling water to touch the coffee and that is why our perc is so bitter compared to our french press made coffee or cold coffee toddy maker. Sometimes I'll boil filtered water on the stove but remove just prior to boil or let it sit 30 seconds after boil.

You mean you arent supposed to use hot water at all to brew your coffee through a french press?
    Complancency results in a decline in quality,inferior products, and ultimately , a loss in revenue.

No thats the toddy that is cold brew

I asked the makers of La Colombe which is arguably some of the best locally roasted coffee in Philadelphia and they recommend a French Press saying, "French Press is the best way to extract all the flavors and aromas out of the coffee."

Anyone know the best way to clean a french press?

Quote Originally Posted by Chammy
    You mean you arent supposed to use hot water at all to brew your coffee through a french press?
    Boiling water is too hot. It'll overextract/burn(?) the coffee which results in a bitter cup.

Ideal brewing temp is what, between 195-200F? That's hot water but not boiling water.
    Grinder: Macap M4 stepless, Zassenhaus kneemill
    Machine: Quickmill Vetrano, Olympia Cremina '67
    Brewers: Yama 5cup, ibrik, Bodum e Santos, french press, pour over drip
    Roaster: Hottop programmable

I love french presses, although I need to get a larger one. Earlier there was a question about cleaning a French Press and I was wondering if anyone had thought of using something in the line of Visions espresso machine cleaner (or similar product), and then running it in the dishwasher with no soap,. just the rince. I know if you put Visions in the dishwasher it makes a huge mess (saw someone do it once) but it can remove coffee buildup like a freaking laser.
    Any thoughts?
    I like my coffee like my soul, I'll take it black

I am loving my french press! Locing it! I have been brewing Philadelphia local Torreo coffee - Sumatra blend and it is stunning. Love it.

I just clean or scrub the parts including the filter with a Dobie pad and some dish soap - then run it under water for a while. I need to get a new french press set up however.

Does anyone know the correct water temp for a French Press? I usually heat the water on the stove and try to take it off just before boil. Is this correct?

Thats the same question I have. I just bought a Bodum Brazil French Spress and I was wondering, hmmm, no boiling water? SHould I have gone with the Chambored one instead? And it is a 3 cup model. It looks more like its only 1 cup max. As to how hot, isnt a coffee drip boilng water also? Or no? So many questions......
    Complancency results in a decline in quality,inferior products, and ultimately , a loss in revenue.

That is basically what I have - an 8 cup French Press and our local roasters recommend the French Press over other methods. I will say however that I had coffee at a friend's house yesterday and it was great. He used a Cuisinart drip with a built in grinder. I may have to consider that product.

With the French Press I get the water as hot as possible before boil and let the coffee steep 4-5 minutes and no longer. The best I have found so far with the French Press is Sumatra and Torreo Sumatra is the best I have had by far.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links