KitchenAid Pro Line Grinder

elusive

Jan 9, 2006
Visit site
Any thoughts on this....as in you either have it or know of someone who has it.

Is it overpriced? If so, what would your recommend instead of it.

Primary purpose is for home use and a stovetop Bialetti coffee maker. I buy whole beans and grind just before brewing. I am sick of the stupid, cheap Krups junk grinder I have. Have had it for just over two years and it yields irregular sized grounds and even dust. I leave it on for 8-10sec.

By the way, I am new to the boards and happy to be here. As if my post number did not give that away..... :roll:

kieronm

Jan 10, 2006
Visit site
I have one

had it for a year and find it great, not to mention looking great. As far as price is concerned I thought it was quite reasonable but make sure you shop around on the web to get the deal. Every now and then I clean it out and use it to grind herbs and spices for rubs and seasonings if you're into that sort of thing.

The only tip I would give is if you want to move to a finer grind on the dial start the grinder and turn the dial so that the cogs close gently.

Have fun

PS thinking of buying the kitchenaid coffee maker to match hence joining this forum to ask the same questions you've asked about the grinder

elusive

Jan 9, 2006
Visit site
With so many registered users on this site (and views), I cannot believe that no one else has anything to say about this.... :(

Natalie's

Feb 12, 2006
NH
Visit site
I have used the 1lb version and the 1/2 lb pro version.

I like the 1/2 lb pro version for home use.

The 1 lb. upgright tends to clog too much

elusive

Jan 9, 2006
Visit site
Ok,
600 hits and I am bringing this post back to life!

My reason for not revisiting it is that I had the item on order from everythinghome.com (http://everythinghome.com/kikpbugr.html). They have the best price out there, by the way.

I will post back here when I try it this week. Since NO ONE else was willing to provide a decent review on these forums, keep your eyes peeled for my unbiased review......I did check in some other forums before the purchase. I would not have paid 199 for this item, but 159 and free shipping sweetened the deal. I did order it at the end of Feb, but it was on backorder and just came in today....Stay tuned.
ka_pl_grinder.jpg

elusive

Jan 9, 2006
Visit site
Update:
The grinder is a pain to keep clean. The top canister on top cannot hold a full amount of beans and complete the grinding process. I even tried moving the beans a bit, but nothing would grind after a certain point. I filled the canister half way and it grinded the beans VERY nicely. This was at a medium setting from the dial. After removing the bottom canister, there were some grounds still in the chamber and made cleaning up not the best process.

Overall, I have to give this Grinder about a B+ at this point. I may figure out more efficient ways to grind without the mess, but that might be consideration for some of you in your decision on buying this item.

It looks great, but I'm just glad that I did not pay full price for it. The top canister not holding what it claims it can hold really bothered me....Might be the beans, but I doubt it.

Robert Deason

May 1, 2006
Visit site
Good machine. Looks greaat too. one problem - when the canister is near empty, there is a ring of beans (10 to 20) that need to be coaxed into the grinder mouth with the little brush they give you. This is a design flaw that I would thing K.A. would have solved by now. It's a problem for small-batch home roasters, as I.

whfite

Oct 28, 2004
Florida
Visit site
A very nice grinder

Wow! Who said this grinder was difficult to clean? I cannot imagine a grinder that is any EASIER to clean. Straight shot from the hopper to the burrs and straight shot from the burrs to the grinds container. Cleaning takes maybe 30 seconds. Even if you strip it down to clean the burrs directly, this takes no more than 10 minutes.

I sold a Rancilio Rocky to buy this machine and I'm convinced that I made the right choice. My doserless Rocky had loads of snob appeal....and static. The KA has virtually NO static issues whatsoever.

The grind is very consistent--at least as good as the Rocky--and the range of adjustment is ample for espresso to french pot. Burrs can be calibrated, if needed, and instructions are clear, detailed, and well illustrated.

So what isn't to like? The lid on the hopper doesn't fit tightly but I only put in what I am going to grind for that pot so this is a non-issue for me. The bottom container looks fragile, but isn't, and fits tightly enough to make you wonder if it is going to break, but it doesn't.

In short, this is a very high quality prosumer grinder, built like a tank, and capable of satisfying even the pickiest of coffeegeeks. What it does NOT have is a well-known name amongst the coffee literati. But I expect this will change with time.