Chemex Coffee Maker?

Tink0952

Mar 5, 2006
TN
Visit site
Has anyone heard of or used the Chemex coffee maker? I am new and have just ordered my first fresh roasted coffee beans online. I want to make sure that I get the best taste out of the beans. I have read about this coffee maker from several websites. It seems as though it will make a great cup and be much easier to use than a French Press. It's a glass coffee maker that use paper filters. You just add the ground coffee to the filter and then boil your water in a tea pot or pan and let it boil and wait a minute before pouring the water into the filter. It's suppose to make a great cup with no grounds in your coffee cup after brewing. Please let me know what you think about this method of brewing coffee. I am now using a cheap Sunbeam Drip coffee maker that I bought at Walmart for about $15.00 and it really doesn't seem to get the coffee hot enough. Thanks!

ericcyl

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
The principle of the chemex is based on gravity filtration, or the basic drip method. I had one, and I felt that the coffee passed through the filter a little too fast. The glass body looked very nice, and can be used as an decanter for red wine sometimes. As far as keeping the coffee hot as you may concern, I would not recommend chemex, unless you got yourself an extra hot plate to keep it warm. I broke mine with carelessness, and I found a cheaper replacement part in Ikea. It was a red wine decanter that looked just like the chemex.